Early Morning Bike Rides // Swim, Bike, Run

My friend T and I have been riding our bikes 2-3 times a week for the past few weeks. Its great to be back on the bike, I’m getting stronger (or at least am lulled into thinking that I am getting stronger), and its been the highlight of our days. I might have mentioned that before, but it bears repeating. My cousin once said that every mother should have a bike: you get to ride fast, you get to ride hard, you get to ride to something and even away from something at times. You satisfy your need to go, to get somewhere quickly and efficiently, and sometimes catch a glimpse of something beautiful.

Since I’ve been riding a lot more lately, my husband reintroduced me to Bicycling Magazine’s Rites of Passage earlier in the week. Much more relevant these days. And hilarious. I was about a nanosecond away from experiencing number 20 today–You get stuck in your pedals and topple over at a stoplight. When my dad bought his road bike a few years ago, he was told, “There are two kinds of cyclists. Those who have toppled over in public, and those who will.” Luckily, I’m still in the latter category.  A friend watched our kids early (6:30!) this morning, and J and I went on a 21 mile bike ride. I promptly came home, put the baby down for a nap, and then crashed for two hours. It was lovely!

Shortly after baby N and I woke up, my sister came over to finish her second baby quilt (the nicey jane polka dot one). We learned through a bit of trial and error that she is a bind-by-hand kind of girl. I told her I would piece tops from now on, and let her quilt and bind them. She says she is done for a while. We’ll see :)

This entry was posted in Swim, Bike, Run and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 13, 2010 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Wow! You are amazing! I especially love how colorful the I Spy quilt is. What a clever idea to put it in nine-patches. I loved your son’s ‘pep talk’ with you, too. Super cute! Kids say the best things.

xo -E
    {visiting from Sew & Tel Friday}

2. Posted August 14, 2010 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Really love your colourful nine patch quilt. You’ve been so productive this week! Being a cyclist myself I can totally relate to your cycling adventures. I’m afraid to say that I’m in the ‘toppled over in public’ catergory but I think once you’ve done it you don’t do it again in a hurry anyway! Thanks for sharing all your finishes this week.

3. Posted August 14, 2010 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

Your quilt is so colorful! I think it’s so neat that your son wants it done, NOW. You never know what motivates them, but he loves this one, Mom!

4. Posted August 15, 2010 at 6:09 am | Permalink

Love your son’s instruction. My 4yo son is my pin assistant (he takes them out as I get to them). Sometimes he likes to control of the speed. Just great finishes you have. Love, love your pieced backing. I am rather partial to pieced backs.

5. Kristen
    Posted August 15, 2010 at 2:46 am | Permalink

Hilarious! It is so cool when they get that excited about what you do! Your nine patch is great! Lots of lovely finishes this week!

6. Sew Many Mamas
    Posted August 15, 2010 at 3:37 am | Permalink

Love your nine-patch! My top is done – just need to finish it up! Love ’em!

7. Posted August 16, 2010 at 6:36 am | Permalink

Thanks everyone! It’s always fun to share. My son likes handing me “pokes” (pins) too. And I usually give him a box of scraps to make a design with while I sew. Or let him stack thread, which usually turns into some sort of army-guy game…

8. Posted August 20, 2010 at 7:25 pm | Permalink

I popped on over form Pleasant Home. I couldn’t help but laugh because I have toppled over in the parking lot before :) and I just have those clips for regular shoes! It’s nice to find a fellow quilter who enjoys triathlons! We’re rare ya know. I’ll definitely be following your blog, where do you live?