Summer String Quilt // Works in Progress

I’ve been thinking about Amy Webb’s Amy Butler Challenge for the last little while. I knew that I wasn’t going to get my string quilt bound by today–birthdays and cleaning my house and playing with friends and doctors visits and apple picking and life seemed to take up much of my time this week.  I guess I must have been stressing about it subconsciously. I woke up in the middle of the night to my daughter crying–I had been dreaming. Specifically, I was crying because I was at Sew and Tell at the White House and I couldn’t show my quilt to Michelle Obama because the binding wasn’t done. I woke up and laughed and laughed at myself. In my defense, lest you think I am totally nuts, my friend had been telling me about her recent White House tour (the rooms in the West Wing are much smaller than you would expect, and the First Family can choose any piece of artwork from the Smithsonian’s vast collections to hang in the White House) that day.

I love this quilt. It has quite a few Amy Butler prints in it. Check out all of the other fun Amy Butler projects this week at AmyLouWho.

This entry was posted in Works In Progress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted September 25, 2010 at 1:59 am | Permalink

this is really beautiful…i love the bright and fun colors

2. Posted September 25, 2010 at 2:05 am | Permalink

Beautiful! I really love the white borders. That is so funny about your dream!

3. Nina...
    Posted September 25, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

I love string quilts! Yours is beautiful. So colorful and happy!

4. Posted September 25, 2010 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Pretty quilt! Well you know what they say, if you can’t decide which fabric to use for the binding, use them all and do a scrappy one!

5. pinksuedeshoe
    Posted September 25, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

Those colors are so great together. And your dream totally cracked me up!

6. Posted September 26, 2010 at 2:03 am | Permalink

I am SO loving your strings quilt! How big is it? I recently made my first string block and it was so much fun. Now I really want to make a mini quilt with one of them and I love the way you did the pieced border on yours. I love your quilting too!!!

7. Posted September 26, 2010 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Thanks, everyone. I think string quilts are awesome! Mary, it’s about 36 x 36, and was sook easy to quilt. I like quilting small quilts, especially when you don’t have to start and stop multiple times (why I hate quilting in the middle of squares, for instance.) happy sewing!

8. Posted September 26, 2010 at 3:55 am | Permalink

i love string blocks and your colors are so fun! I love your dream!!!

9. Posted September 26, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

Your dream is cracking me up…so something I would do! And that quilt is just beautiful! Very bright and cheery!

10. Posted October 5, 2010 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

The string quilt is quite pretty! I love those fabrics.