Sewing with Friends

That is the sound of happiness . . . the sound of the dull roar of you get when you have eight women, a few sewing machines, and lots of laughter and chatting. The sound that almost drowned out my daughter crying herself to sleep tonight, she who has decided that she doesn’t really want to sleep any longer than 3 or 4 hours at a stretch any more.  My son, who had to come down the stairs to peek a few times, was amazed that I had TWO sewing nights in less than a week. Sometimes life is good like that. (Last week, friends helped me turn this stack into this)

I think everyone was happy to get out of the house (some may have used the word escaping), enjoy lively conversation, help with projects, etc.  So often quilting is a solitary thing–It is so nice to have friends to help– whether its pin basting your quilt top, suggestions on how to quilt the baby quilt you are working on (it was almost unanimous–gray thread, stippling), asking questions about how exactly, one does stipple a quilt,  voting on options for binding, suggestions for additional fabric for a project, and the luxury of just sitting and talking. Not to mention hanging out with people that actually like going to the fabric store, or in yesterday’s case, the awesome stockroom of Pam’s online store, DelRay Fabrics. (More on that another time.) I’m lucky to have incredibly talented friends.  And they bring gifts (above)! I’m gathering selvages for some sort of crazy selvage quilt. If you have any you want to save for me, I’d love it.

I made a quick stroller blanket for one of my husband’s coworkers Friday night while he was out on an official guys night (what makes it official? Apparently, lots of meat, billiards, and Rock Band. The only essential part is the meat.) The stroller size quilt (about 30 inches square) is bright and simple. It is backed with the “nice and easy” (?) chenille-like fabric I bought at Joann’s for this quilt.  It is super soft but a bear to work with. I’ll never buy it again–minky works out so much nicer. I also started a quilt top for friends of ours having a baby boy in a month or so. So many babies!

Note: Its 6:30 in the morning, and despite being totally exhausted, I’m off for a quick bike ride. I have my new handlebars, a bell, and flickering lights. I should be good to go. I’m publicly patting myself on the back this morning for going. All I want to do is sleep…now all I have to do is wait for the sun to come up a bit more.

This entry was posted in Sewing + Friends, Works In Progress and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted September 15, 2010 at 7:07 am | Permalink

you made me want to craft with friends! So much more fun than alone. Looks like some fun projects.

2. Posted September 15, 2010 at 11:26 am | Permalink

I seriously love sewing nights at the Blakesley’s. It’s one of the things that makes me never want any of us to move away from each other! Ever. I want to be having sewing nights in 20 years (though maybe at that point I’ll be able to host and not be crammed into 900 square feet?)

And go you. Waking up early to train always deserves a public pat on the back.

3. Posted September 15, 2010 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Sounds like a great time! I wish we stuck around long enough to have partaken of such an event. Although I am not well practiced and would be the annoying one always asking questions and jamming my machine. :-) Glad you have such great opportunities. Good friends are seriously the best.

4. Jones
    Posted September 17, 2010 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Okay, so we REALLY are moving back in a year–if only for the sewing nights. I’m going through withdrawal. Miss you guys!!

5. Posted September 18, 2010 at 1:26 am | Permalink

I love sewing nights! Thanks for coming, ladies. Halley–anytime you want to pop on down on the 95, you are welcome to join us. Kristen, I’m going to email you every time we get together. Just so you don’t forget about us! Brooke, I think I have 17 projects, so lets keep it up. Stockings…

6. Posted September 19, 2010 at 11:32 am | Permalink

It sounds like you had a fun and productive night. Quilting is definitely more fun with friends.

7. Posted September 27, 2010 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Glad you had a productive time. It’s fun sewing with friends!