Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World

around%2Bthe%2Bworld Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World As far as quilting and blogging goes, this is one of my favorite events! The Blogger’s Quilt Festival is a semi-annual party started by Amy, and who doesn’t like looking at hundreds of favorite quilts? This is my third time participating, and this summer I was thrilled to see that my quilt from the Spring Festival was one of a few Amy featured on her site

Back to this year. Introducing the “Around the World (or at least the metro area) Quilt.” It is my favorite right this second for a few reasons; here they are, David Letterman Style.

Around%2Bthe%2BWorld%2B%28or%2Bat%2Bleast%2Bthe%2Bmetro%2Barea%29%2BQuilt%2BOuttakes%2B2 Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World
10. It is done! Washed and dried and crinkled.
9.  I machine bound it–and it looks great! I figured that if I machine bound enough quilts poorly, one of these days it would have to click! Good timing.
8. I had a fabulous little quilt holder (whose arms were a bit too short) and we took pictures of it all over the metro area today, although none of them really panned out like I had hoped. But my ear infection-recovering kids and I did enjoy beautiful 76 degree weather together all day long–I’ll take that over quilt pictures any (most) days.
7.  I had fun making it, and was able to sew much of it with quilt guild friends.
6. I cut the backing too short, but didn’t realize it until I had quilted it. Oops. I love the improvised scraps of orange against the aqua back.
 Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World  Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World

5.  It is the first time I have quilted with thread that I didn’t want to “blend in,   in this case, aqua. I quilted it kind of how I swim backstroke–a little “organically” (which really means that I can’t sew or swim super straight, so I just pretend like I’m doing it on purpose) in a diamond pattern, following the string blocks.
Around%2Bthe%2BWorld%2B%28or%2Bat%2Bleast%2Bthe%2Bmetro%2Barea%29%2BQuilt%2BBinding Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World 4. I love the binding fabric–it is an old grid pattern from Jackie Shapiro’s Sweetpea line (and I used it to bind another quilt recently). I bought it for $3 a yard. It ties the gender-neutral quilt together nicely, I think!
3. I have wanted to make a string quilt for a long time, and I’m hooked, but I like how this one isn’t as chaotic as some. Especially since I have little fingers to tear off the paper backing. It makes me think I could try real paper piecing and do okay. icon smile Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World
2.  Some of my very favorite scraps are in this quilt–KJR basketweave in blue and orange, orange Kei Honeycomb, Mendocino octopi on the back and seahorses on the front, I could go on and on.

1. It is happy and it is cheery and it makes me smile, and I’m sending it to one of my best friends for her  soon to be born baby. (I figured if I put that out there, I will actually send it and not keep it.) Finally, this quilt is very “me.” It features my favorite summery combination right now of yellow and orange and aqua with a bit of blue and green thrown in. And it includes my signature color, which my mother in law calls “Katie blue.”  Pretty cool to have your own color.

aroundtheworld Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World

Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World our%2Bvisitor Bloggers Quilt Festival: Around the World

And two non-quilting pictures. I drove around in search of the perfect fall foliage today, partly because both of my kids had fallen asleep in the car after our picnic. When we got home, I saw this beauty and had to smile. It might be the prettiest of them all.  And speaking of picnics, this “little” guy joined us for ours yesterday. I let out a Halloween worthy shriek when I saw it sitting right next to my little boy, who was on the edge of the picnic quilt. He ate the rest of his sandwich in the stroller, thank you very much. Enjoy the Halloween weekend–we had a Halloween party at church last weekend, and I may or may not have pilfered quite a bit of candy from my son’s bag already. Shhhh…

This entry was posted in Quilts, Sewing + Friends. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 29, 2010 at 5:15 am | Permalink

Kate, that’s lovely. I love the thin accent strip in the border sashing!

2. Posted October 29, 2010 at 9:32 am | Permalink

A beautiful quilt.
    Like one giant block!!
    Andi :-)

3. Posted October 29, 2010 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Very pretty. Love the color combinations. I would have a hard time giving that away too!

4. Posted October 29, 2010 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Lovely quilt and a lovely read – thank you

5. Posted October 29, 2010 at 11:02 am | Permalink

I adore this quilt, so cheery! And I love your top 10, that made me laugh. I think this quilt turned out just beautifully, makes me want to go start making a string quilt for the first time :)

6. Posted October 29, 2010 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Love this quilt. It is so pretty.

7. Posted October 29, 2010 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

It’s beautiful! I’m all about machine-binding. Once it clicks, it’s fabulous.

8. Posted October 29, 2010 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

This quilt is amazing and such a happy quilt!

9. Posted October 29, 2010 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! I love your blog, btw…

10. Posted October 29, 2010 at 7:42 pm | Permalink

I love the fresh summery colours. It’ll be a treasured quilt! I enjoyed the way you wrote about it.

11. Posted October 29, 2010 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Beautiful. Brilliant too. I like how it is a super sized string quilt! And I can’t believe you got a shot of that spider!!

12. Posted October 29, 2010 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

A very joyful quilt.

13. Posted October 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Love this Kate! You did a fabulous job and the colours are just beautiful!

14. Posted October 29, 2010 at 11:39 pm | Permalink

I love your Letterman style presentation. Too funny. Great quilt.

15. Posted October 30, 2010 at 12:51 am | Permalink

Wow! I love everything about this quilt…so bright and colorful!

16. Posted October 30, 2010 at 2:37 am | Permalink

I just love this quilt Kate! It makes me want to make one just like it! I love the scrappy border. Perfection!

17. Posted October 30, 2010 at 3:41 am | Permalink

Lovely quilt and love the story! I love how you’ve controlled the strings in this. Beautiful job, and great rescue on the backing – been there done that, lol!

18. Posted October 30, 2010 at 3:48 am | Permalink

Love it! Its a great version of a string quilt. Love how its one big block. Beautiful colours.

19. Posted October 30, 2010 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Really, really pretty!

20. Posted October 30, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

this is gorgeous. i love the colors…your quilting is beautiful

21. Posted October 30, 2010 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

your quilt is great, Kate! i might steal that idea because i love string blocks..
    claudia

22. Posted October 30, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Great string quilt Kate! I enjoyed reading your post Letterman style ;-) Thanks for sharing!

23. Posted October 30, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

Oh! This is SO lovely!! What size is it? And may I copy :)

24. Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:01 am | Permalink

It’s a beautiy!

25. Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:22 am | Permalink

What a pretty quilt. I love the string piecing and your quilting. You sound like a great mom. What special memories you are creating with your kids!

26. Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:28 am | Permalink

I really like your string quilt! The colors are so bright and cheerful. I am saving my scraps so I can have a go at a string quilt and keep up with the Sew Scrap Along. It really helps that I won your scraps! Thanks so much!

27. Posted October 31, 2010 at 3:53 am | Permalink

The quilt has an amazing arrangement of colors. Is this considered a string quilt?
    Angie – http://www.craftedAngles.com

28. Posted October 31, 2010 at 5:10 am | Permalink

So pretty!! i love the colors!

29. Posted October 31, 2010 at 8:20 am | Permalink

I love the gorgeous, bright colours you have used in this quilt. String quilts have so much potential and this is great!
    What a wonderful gift!

30. Posted October 31, 2010 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Gorgeous. I love string quilts but have never tried one on this scale.

Blessings

Gail

31. Posted October 31, 2010 at 2:31 pm | Permalink

I love the pictures, a friend called after seeing the quilts and said, “you all live enchanted lives with your quilts around you” we do !

32. Posted October 31, 2010 at 5:53 pm | Permalink

il respire le soleil,l’été, la chaleur,la gaité le bonheur en résumé

33. Posted October 31, 2010 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

Beautiful quilt and color choices. But you’ve got me curious which of those blues are “Katie blue”…being a Katie also, I’d like to make sure I know which color has been assigned to us!

34. Posted November 1, 2010 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Thanks everyone–you know how to make a girl smile!

35. Posted November 1, 2010 at 2:44 am | Permalink

oh, beautiful! one of my favorites this time! I really love your colors and this is a great design.

36. Posted November 1, 2010 at 3:22 am | Permalink

lovely quilt. i also like the less frenetic quality of it although i do love string quilts in almost any figuration. lucky little child to receive such a nice gift. thanks for sharing and have a great day!

37. Posted November 1, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

I absolutely love the fabrics you used! So bright and cheery!

38. Posted November 2, 2010 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Absolutely gorgeous! I’m with you on avoiding the paper piecing, so that’s why I like this design….it’s one giant block!
    I also do machine binding on my quilts. The only thing I don’t like is that I can’t seem to get the stitch to catch on both the front AND back. So my back ends up having the binding stitching like 1/8 inch off the binding fabric.

Any suggestions? :)

39. Posted November 2, 2010 at 1:09 am | Permalink

You’ve made a lovely quilt! It’s so happy and fresh!! Great job and I love the strip on the back!

40. Posted November 2, 2010 at 1:55 am | Permalink

What a bright, cheerful, fun quilt!

41. Posted November 2, 2010 at 11:34 am | Permalink

A lovely, happy quilt! I am planning to make a string pieced quilt someday! I just love the look of it! :)

42. Posted November 4, 2010 at 12:50 am | Permalink

I really love your quilt. The mix of fabrics is just right and the design is wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.

43. Posted November 5, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

What a happy quilt! Love the border… Just love it!

44. Posted November 6, 2010 at 6:44 am | Permalink

A pretty, bright, cheery quilt, I love it.

45. Posted November 8, 2010 at 3:03 am | Permalink

THis is a happy quilt! Love it. Some wonderful fabrics in there and everything looks great together.

46. Posted December 13, 2010 at 6:27 am | Permalink

mom’s eating their kiddos halloween candy…such a concept!!!!!! :) lovely quilt and lucky baby to receive it. really like how it all looks together. thanks for sharing and have a great day

47. Posted August 2, 2011 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

This is a gorgeous quilt and I imagine it went together really quickly. what size are the strips, the blocks and the final quilt?