Beltway Traffic Quilt // Finished Modern Quilt

(Note: It is obviously not fall yet in our backyard. I’m loving the mild weather).

Our good friends and neighbors are expecting their second child any day now. The yet to be named boy will join his sister in our neighborhood bike gang. We can’t wait to meet him. I wanted something vibrant and cheery, which fits very well with the family’s vibe. And we live near-ish the Beltway, a traffic nightmare if I’ve ever seen one. Signs going every which way, construction that shuts down the freeway all night and makes unsuspecting second honeymooner’s almost miss their flight, kind of traffic. I hope they like it. Its quite possibly the worst machine binding I’ve done on a quilt in a long time, and at that point, I just didn’t care.  (Fabric is Allison Jane Smith Traffic Jam, with a little Kona Ash and Rainy Days and Mondays yellow dots purchased here, with Kona Charcoal, I think, to bind it. I like the dark binding. It tones the quilt down a bit. The back is an older print from Jackie Shapiro’s Sweetpea line–$3 a yard. Yes, please!)

If you haven’t heard, I’m having a giveaway that closes the 26th–to celebrate a year of blogging here, 100+ posts, and my baby girl’s first birthday!

Linked to Sew & Tell–my friend Mary from Pin.Sew.Press is featured today. Love her stuff!  She might even inspire me to branch out and make myself a bag :)

This entry was posted in Quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 23, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Very pretty! I love the pieced back, too!

2. Posted October 23, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

this quilt looks great….

3. Posted October 23, 2010 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Sweet! A lovely boy quilt!

4. Posted October 23, 2010 at 5:52 pm | Permalink

Yippee, you should definitely make yourself a bag!!!

I love the name of this quilt, mostly because I used to commute on the Beltway every.single.day and oh boy did I hate it! I went through a crazy phase where I thought it made sense to drive from Herndon, VA to Laurel, MD every day for work. Ummm, bad idea!

Anyway, love the quilt AND it’s name and I hope the new owners love it too!

5. Lappedamen
    Posted October 24, 2010 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

The quilt is really great and the fabrics are just lovely.

6. Kristen
    Posted October 26, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

I know it’s Tuesday, but that looks like a great quilt! Love the design and fabric!