Rainy Days + Mondays Quilt // Finished Modern Quilt

A good friend of mine is having a baby girl in a month and a half or so. All babies are special–the arrival of this one is especially anticipated. We are thrilled for Katie and Jeff! I had the bright idea that a few other friends might want to be in on the fun, so I hosted a quilting night last month. It was great–talk about assembly line quilting.

Here is the process in pictures….

Happy fabric–loved the yellows and grays and reds and greens–added gray and pink kona cotton from my stash to calm all of the prints down a bit.  Drew a plan. Or 7. Tried to get it right. I figured it would be easier to do a group quilt a long if there was a plan and the fabric was cut before the ladies got here! Used the stack n whack method talked about a lot of places; I saw it here.

Laid all of the blocks on my lovely design wall piano. (Yes, there is a mirror on the piano, hence the illusion of even more blocks cut!  We had three friends sewing the blocks together, one designated ironer, and one designated block trimmer–me! And I made a few mistakes cutting out/putting the blocks together, so that gave us all a good laugh. “uh, Katie? What do you want me to do with this?” Oops! There was also a bit of unpicking after the fact, but just a little bit. Those rain drops are tricky to orient just the right way–some of them defied gravity! Two friends stayed later and helped with the layout–two of the squares have raw edge appliqued squares on them–I like something a bit different to break up the quilt. There is a sweet label on the back, which will include the baby’s name after she is born (and named). Everyone who helped signed the block.  The week after at another quilt a thon, we finished basting it, I stippled the quilt (uh, its been a long time! Maybe since this one…) and the binding was a group effort–special thanks to Brooke for doing the bulk of it.  I gave Katie the quilt today–I hope she and her family know how much we love them. :) And if there weren’t enough pictures in this post, here are a few more. I wish I would have taken pictures while we were sewing–we had such fun! Thanks everyone!

linked to sew and tell and Fabric Tuesday at Quilt Story
This entry was posted in Quilts, Sewing + Friends and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:34 am | Permalink

What a fun quilt! I adore this fabric line. So fun that you sewed it as a group too!

2. Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:32 pm | Permalink

okay, I want to come play at your house! what an awesome idea and I’m so encouraged by your thoughtfulness! too sweet! thanks for sharing the process with us with the pictures!

3. Posted October 8, 2010 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I love it!

4. Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Who knew assembly line could create such a beautiful quilt?! 😉 I love it! I’m sure the new parents with love it as well!

5. Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

this is beautiful…i love that you had a quilt night. i did this a few years ago at the start of my quilt making obsession with some friends for a soon to be arriving baby….we passed it from ho use to house to do hand quilting, we basted together, and cut and sewed all our blocks together with three machines on the table. it was so much fun. this quilt is sure to be loved immensely by its new owner

6. Posted October 8, 2010 at 2:01 pm | Permalink

Sweet sweet quilt! What fun that it was a group project!

7. Posted October 8, 2010 at 2:05 pm | Permalink

Beautiful quilt! I’ve never heard of a group quilting project. Sounds like so much fun! Thanks for sharing your project.

8. Posted October 8, 2010 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

What an awesome idea! Get together and give everyone a job! Love it! Sounds like a blast. I want to do this….

Oh, the quilt turned out adorable too. OF COURSE!!

9. ktquilts
    Posted October 8, 2010 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Great quilt, and perfect memory I am sure!!

Blessings,

KT

10. Posted October 8, 2010 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

How fun!! Every time I try to work on a quilt with someone else we end up with a mess. You guys did great. That quilt is super cute.

11. Posted October 8, 2010 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone! I admit I was a bit nervous about the group project, but I think the key was having everything pre cut. I’m lucky to have so many local friends who like to sew!

12. Posted October 9, 2010 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Wow! It turned out beautiful, and quilt night sounds like so much fun!! What a lucky baby :-)

13. Nina...
    Posted October 9, 2010 at 12:28 am | Permalink

A fun and happy quilt! I love all the different blocks. The colors all go together so well.

14. Posted October 9, 2010 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

The quilt came out perfect! I need to keep in mind to have friends over to help when I have a big project.

15. Posted October 9, 2010 at 11:35 pm | Permalink

That is a seriously happy quilt, just love it!

16. Posted October 10, 2010 at 8:09 am | Permalink

What a lovely gift for your friends baby and made all that more special by being a combined effort. Love this line of fabrics so bright and fun!

17. elizabeth
    Posted October 13, 2010 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

What a fun idea and a darling quilt!

18. Posted October 14, 2010 at 2:17 am | Permalink

Thanks, everyone!

19. Posted October 15, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Its so cute! I love the fabrics so sweet! Thanks for linking up!