Strawberry Squares // Finished Modern Quilt

Have you heard of Eleanor Burns? Her trademark is “Quilt in a Day,” which is basically what it sounds like. Her work isn’t particularly my style, but I was happy to channel Eleanor Burns yesterday!

It all started when I received this in the mail yesterday (my last fabric purchase for 2 months. I sound like an addict. I probably am one, but still.+) Isn’t it pretty?

Its Remix by Ann Kelle. I had previously bought a yard of one of the butterfly prints to back my I-Spy Quilt. It matched perfectly. And yes–once you use a long arm machine to quilt a quilt anything less is no fun at all! And I love my sewing machine!

I did something I have never done before. I pulled the fabric out of the envelope, walked upstairs, and started cutting it up and sewing with it. Baby N took a long nap, which coincided with preschool and a playdate here for Mr. L., which made for a fun few hours for me! I really really really wanted to run to the store and buy some lilac and light green solids to throw in with the pink and yellow that I had, but I figured I couldn’t break my resolution (no new fabric for 8 weeks) five days into the new year. I used two different kona pinks, because I didn’t have enough of either on hand. It sure is a pink quilt! Then, while my husband was at evening meetings, I pin basted and quilted the quilt. I love baby quilts (it measures 38×38). If I had not had to rip out 1/6 of the quilting due to an unsightly pucker in the back, I would have been done well before 11:30pm. Oh well. Almost. I machine bound the binding last night and spent part of today burying knots and tying off some loose ends.

This quilt is off to its new home soon–I traded the quilt for portraits of my kids for Christmas. I hope she likes it!

And since I’m posting at Sew & Tell, here is my other big finish from the last few weeks. Besides 100 Quilts for Christmas, my sewing machine took a break this holiday season!

Speaking of 100 Quilts for Christmas, we donated 43 quilts and blankets locally. 43! I was so excited. We got a nice thank you note from the Alexandria Office on Women today. Thank you again, Tricia, for delivering the quilts.  And thank you everyone who participated for your kindness and generosity. I heard of 130 ish quilts that were donated this holiday season.

And a post like this wouldn’t be complete without a mosaic of some of my favorite projects of 2010, right? Happy New Year, everyone!

This entry was posted in Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 7, 2011 at 4:50 am | Permalink

A quilt in a day! Congrats!! I am making one with hand stitching this week and it is taking forever. :(
    Happy New Year! The quilt is very cute!

2. Posted January 7, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Your quilt is just awesome, the fabrics are to die for…and what you are doing with all these quilts is amazing…

3. Posted January 7, 2011 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

What a great looking quilt, I love it!

4. Posted January 7, 2011 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Yes, but you can only call yourself Eleanor if you threw your scraps over your shoulder :-)

Beautiful quilts!

5. Posted January 7, 2011 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

Great, great job Eleanor…..ehem, I mean Katie. (Love your name btw since we share it. Except mine is Katy) The pink are wonderful!!

6. Posted January 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

a quilt in a day is awesome

7. Posted January 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

Wow you have been busy this past year! Wonderful quilts!

8. Lesly
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

You have been very productive! Great finishes!

9. deb
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Katie! I didn’t know you were such a quilter! Amazing! I’m so impressed.

10. pinksuedeshoe
    Posted January 7, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I’m going to have to look up Remix! Those are fantastic! Your little quilt looks great! But that deco-ish quilt is FANTASTIC! I love it!

11. Posted January 8, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

WOW!!! Love it! love your mosaic too! thanks for inspiring me so much!

12. Posted January 8, 2011 at 6:10 am | Permalink

Oh how pretty! I love them both. And good for you on the donating quilts–I’ve been gathering fabric for the last year to make quilts to donate–now I just need to get to work on them.

13. Diane
    Posted January 8, 2011 at 2:38 am | Permalink

Love your little quilt! My first ‘pattern’ quilt was the Eleanor Burns Log Cabin quilt in a day…way back in-the-day!

14. Posted January 8, 2011 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

Kate, you were channeling Eleanor!!! Great job on the pink quilt and all your finishes of 2010. Happy New Year!

15. Posted January 10, 2011 at 1:33 am | Permalink

Great job–your quilt is beautiful!

16. Kristen
    Posted January 9, 2011 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Beautiful quilts! So full of color… Happy finish and here is to the new and hopefully productive year!

17. Posted January 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

A quilt in a day! Fab-u-lous. I really like the pink in your quilts! I surfed in from Sew and Tell. Happy Sewing!!!