The treadmill is not my friend // Swim, Bike, Run

I finally joined a gym. It is officially cold outside, snowing, even, and I don’t like running (or doing much of anything outside) once it is this cold outside. (I know, my family in Wisconsin would laugh at this but it is true, I am a total weather wimp, and not ashamed at all to admit it.)  There is a new gym by my house–it is cheap, close, clean, and contract free. I am in the process of saving my money to join the beautiful fitness club of my dreams with a full size pool and amazing facilities and childcare!, but until that happens (anyone want a custom quilt?) I’m going to be working out with my friends, inside, at the no frills gym. I’m okay with that.

I do not, however, like running on a treadmill. You see, you don’t go anywhere. You don’t get to look at anything except Supernannny or Minute to Win It, both of which were entertaining, but not nearly as nice as being outside. I was totally unprepared, I didn’t even bring headphones, because I usually run outside sans music. Running without headphones helps me think,  unless I’m really tired or really out of shape, and then music is a great distraction.  I have a like/dislike affair with running, and the treadmill experience of last night falls squarely in the “dislike” category. Much different than running outside three weeks ago.

I’m done complaining. But it won’t stop me from echoing my four year old, who has been praying for spring to come quickly. I’m with you, kid.

And finally, a picture. I’ve been sewing up a storm lately, and its been nice. I try to pick one day to sew, usually Wednesdays, and anything other than that is a bonus. I sew in my living room, and it minimizes the chaos for the rest of the week a bit–I’m not a “neat” creator. This mug rug is for my grandma for her birthday. It turned out a bit more masculine than I had intended, I hope the quilting softens it a bit. Regardless, I liked it and hope she does too.

Do you remember discussing metaphors in a high school English class, and your teacher (or maybe it was my dad) said that if you have to spell out the metaphor, it isn’t a very good one? Yeah? Well, I’m going to do it anyway. The quilting on this reminded me of a pilot doing a barrel roll, or flips, or crazy dives. So, maybe these geese are having a little more fun than the normal, old, flying in a V routine. They are intrepid flying geese. (Sorry to make you cringe, dad. It was worth at least a C+, right?)

This entry was posted in Swim, Bike, Run and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 9, 2011 at 3:27 am | Permalink

ugh, I feel your dislike for the treadmill. While I was training for my half marathon I had to run 6 miles at the gym one time because my oldest didn’t have school that day. UGH. I ended up with a major headache because the treadmills face a bright sunny window and the glare and the vertigo feeling you get when you get off the dang treadmill gave me a huge migraine and I felt like throwing up after.
    I’m with you on running outside where it it is so much more enjoyable and fresh and relaxing. I too run sans music and I love the freedom of having a clear head.
    Good luck keeping it up. I usually switch to Zumba in the winter :)

2. Posted January 9, 2011 at 7:28 am | Permalink

Treadmills are great for one thing, and that’s an interval workout. Start with half a mile or so as a warmup and then do sprints or jog-run-sprints. It breaks up the mind melting monotony.

3. Paula
    Posted January 9, 2011 at 4:45 am | Permalink

I agree, running outside is far better than inside but I have found that running intervals makes the time go by faster on a treadmill. Runners World has some great work-out ideas.

4. Kristie
    Posted January 9, 2011 at 7:29 am | Permalink

See, I am the opposite. I hate running outside in summer when it is all muggy and sweaty. Ick. Right now, -20 degrees up in Canada….I love running outside. The crisp air in your lungs, seeing your breath, putting the first footprints in a new snowfall- love it. But I do agree that treadmills are b-o-r-i-n-g!

5. Posted January 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Cute metaphor for your mug rug – I am sure that your grandma will love it. I like the polka dots. I also have a single night of the week that is dedicated to sewing — Mondays.

Angie – http://www.craftedAngles.com

6. Posted January 9, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

I don’t really love to run in the cold, either, but I do it anyway. We do have a treadmill, which I have to use sometimes if I want to run at all. Like you, I don’t run with headphones when I run outside, but I *need* them on the treadmill. The miles just go by so much slower. I make it easier by constantly fiddling with the controls. I’ll run faster for one song, then change the incline for the next song, then slow down for the song after that. If I only have to maintain my current conditions for as long as one song, it’s not so bad.

7. Posted January 11, 2011 at 4:14 am | Permalink

Thanks for all of your comments. I pulled out one of my old runners world magazines and I am definitely mixing it up tomorrow. And I’m going to try Em’s suggestion of running faster for one song, on an incline for another, etc. I just need to find my ipod now…

And I was totally inspired by Kristie’s beautiful description of running in the snow and cold, and even convinced myself I could do it. Until I got up Sunday morning and was out the door by 7:40 for church (terrible time, eh) and my kids were crying because it was cold and it WAS cold (20 something degrees) and I said, “Nope. Can’t do it.” So, I at least thought about it!