Fabric Auditions // Color My Quilt

I watched infomercials while running early this morning. And you know what?  I wanted to buy every single item shown during the half hours. Baby Bullet? Sold! Even though, of course, I no longer have a baby who eats pureed food. Home workout machine endorsed by Chuck Norris and a supermodel whose name I couldn’t remember? Sold. I figured it would beat running on a treadmill at 6:30 am when there is a wintry mix (in Virginia, this means snow/rain/sleet/ice/or all of the above) about!  Knowing how susceptible I am to advertising and opinions this morning (which is quite unlike me, maybe it was the early hour), it is either the perfect day to post WIP questions, or a terrible day to do so. :)   If anything, I’ve liked posting the last few weeks, as it has made me sit and think and plan a bit more than I usually do. I often get an idea, pull fabric, start cutting, and see where it takes me, which of course isn’t bad either.

City Grid: On Monday, I started making a bee block for Emily, and decided to try out the Mod Mosaic tutorial from Oh Fransson.  I have recently learned that Elizabeth’s “improv” is actually much more planned out and deliberate than my “improv.” Perhaps it was that my husband was watching, or there were kids around, but it didn’t go so well. Last night, I took scraps from the quilt I’m going to make for my son and tried again. Much better. And my husband came home and said, “You made a city grid block. I love it.”  I’m going to make this into a mini-quilt/lovey for a friend’s baby, but also made it to:
a. determine whether or not I would want to make a baby quilt out of this pattern (perhaps, if the scraps were 5 inches instead of 2)
b. see if I liked all of the fabrics together BEFORE I start making his twin quilt (yes)
Here are the fabrics for Mr. L’s quilt. There are a fair number of Heather Ross/novelty-ish fabrics, and I decided I better use them before he grows out of them.  I have been gathering and swapping for them for a looong time. I posted a picture on flickr  a few weeks ago and was overwhelmed by both the fabulous suggestions of fabrics to include, as well as the generosity of my flickr friends, many who sent me lovely and sought after charms to add in.  Thank you, ladies.
FINALLY. Here are my questions:
1. Any fabrics that seem a little off?
2. Should I keep with my plan to do a simple patchwork quilt? I really like the addition of white in the mod mosaic block above. So, keep it simple, or come up with a better/different pattern.
Thanks in advance. And if you read through all of that, double thanks. I’ll save yesterday’s story of walking my bike with the two kids in the trailer due to mechanical failures for another time.
This entry was posted in Quilts, Swim, Bike, Run, Works In Progress and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

You picked out great colors and I also like the white around the blocks.

2. Posted January 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

I truly adore the selection of fabrics you’ve got there – nothing sticks out in a bad way, I really just love it all! I love the mod mosaic look, I love how the white makes things just pop, but simple patchwork can be fun, too, especially with all of the HR pieces. I think the mod mosaic might be more fun to put together, though, so I’m going to vote for that. :)

3. Posted January 26, 2011 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I think your colors are awesome! I really want to try a modern mosaic like that.

4. Lisa
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

I love all those fabrics and colors! Think they work very well together. I guess you just have to decide which way you want to go on this. Why don’t you lay things out both ways and see what hits you.

5. Annie
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

I’m also loving all the fabrics and colors, they are gorgeous!! I think either layout will be beautiful. I agree with Lisa, lay things out and see where it takes you!

6. Token Asian Friend
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I was going to say you might want to re-think the dark ones, but then I saw your sample with that dark orange-brown one, and I changed my mind. I love your fabric choices, and I love Elizabeth’s Mod Mosaic block design. Your husband is right! It looks like a city grid!

7. Jones
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 9:31 pm | Permalink

Love the mosaic! How did you put it together? And I think the fabrics are lovely. I’m getting ready to do Owen’s quilt and bedding. Wish me luck :)

8. mjb
    Posted January 26, 2011 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

I like those fabrics a lot – you could add in white squares in small doses – not as a sashing or border but just in the same quantities as some of the prints.

9. Posted January 27, 2011 at 3:22 am | Permalink

I just love Mod Mosaic blocks! Yours look great – I made a few recently and wish mine would have come out wonkier, more like yours. Anyway, I vote for Mod Mosaic for the twin quilt. I can’t get enough of those blocks lately. And the fabric selection looks amazing, love every single one of them!

Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday, have a wonderful week!

10. Jessica
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 1:33 am | Permalink

I love those colors and am a sucker for white sashing between blocks, it’s just so classic and makes the blocks stand out. Can’t want to see what this turns into!

11. Jenniffier
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 4:10 am | Permalink

Great color choices. It looks wonderful.

12. KristyLou
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

I REALLY like the white. I may use it as inspiration for something :)

13. fionabakesandcrafts
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

Love the fabrics for the quilt, he’s going to love it. I’d definitely go with white, I think it’ll make the colors really pop.

14. Christy
    Posted January 27, 2011 at 7:51 pm | Permalink

If I was you, I’d do a more simple patchwork quilt, but add in some random white squares. Some of the great prints from your charms may get lost if you end up cutting them too small.