Workshop In Progress–I-Spy Ticker Tape Quilt

I decided to join in on this round of Cheryl’s “Workshop in Progress” series, as well as WiP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced. I haven’t asked for much feedback during the planning/process of quilting (I tend to be a bit impatient) but I thought it would be good for me every now and then.  And of course I love seeing what other people are doing.

QLDFloodAppeal Workshop In Progress  I Spy Ticker Tape Quilt

I am sure by now you have heard about the flooding in Australia–I actually first read about it on my friend Amy’s blog.  She mentioned that Toni of Make it Perfect is organizing the Queensland Flood Relief Appeal Auction, and I wanted to join in. Toni will have a master list of auctions and raffles on her site on Monday–I’m sure there will be some great stuff!  I have a lot of oddly shaped I-Spy fabrics from this quilt, so I decided to make a ticker-tape i-spy quilt to raffle off on Monday, January 17.   It works in my head, at least.

Workshop In Progress  I Spy Ticker Tape Quilt

I decided to try marking lines with my hera marker first; I thought it might make the straight line quilting I am planning a bit easier. We’ll see, I guess.

Workshop In Progress  I Spy Ticker Tape Quilt

I sorted through my scraps (while my daughter dumped them out and put them back in many, many times)

Workshop In Progress  I Spy Ticker Tape Quilt

That is where the workshop in progress comes in. I’m not sure if I love it on the white–so many of the fabrics have white backgrounds that it seems a bit washed out. My camera was upstairs at this point, and I was too lazy to get it, so I snapped three pictures without much light with my phone. They are blurry, and I haphazardly placed the scraps on the light yellow and aqua, but I think it works for this: which is the best background for the I-Spy Ticker Tape quilt? I’m not a fan of the yellow, but not sure about the other two, either. Suggestions?  Note: The vote was overwhelmingly aqua. I quilted it today (Thursday). Its pretty awesome. Now to choose binding. Thoughts?

ticker%2Btape%2Bi spy Workshop In Progress  I Spy Ticker Tape Quilt
This entry was posted in Works In Progress. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 13, 2011 at 3:21 am | Permalink

This is a cute idea for a quilt! Personally I like the aqua background. Good luck!

2. Posted January 13, 2011 at 3:25 am | Permalink

Thanks for the heads up on the flood appeal auctions. As for the ticker tape quilt, I really like the blue background. It makes the fabric scraps really pop!

3. Posted January 13, 2011 at 3:43 am | Permalink

I also like the blue background. It makes it look more cohesive.
    I am about to embark on my very first quilt (also an I Spy quilt) and I find it very inspiring. You made me think about my quilt in a different way. So, thanks!

4. Posted January 13, 2011 at 4:37 am | Permalink

This is a great idea! I vote aqua.

5. Posted January 13, 2011 at 6:43 am | Permalink

Another vote for the aqua! Great idea for using up I Spy scraps – will be tucking it away for the future.

6. Posted January 13, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Another vote for aqua as well!

7. Posted January 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Hi there my dear! You are a rockstar!! has anyone told you that lately?:) Anyway, this looks darling, I wish I was there to sew with you…only a few more years i guess! But, anyway-AQUA is my vote for sure:)

8. Posted January 13, 2011 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

Well, that’s a consensus! I agree, Aqua looks best. Green would work too, if you had it.

9. Posted January 13, 2011 at 2:29 pm | Permalink

oohhh! aqua seems to be the backing of choice and I definitely agree. luv aqua, well, I luv yellow and white just as much but the aqua is doing something more/better according to your snapshot.

10. Posted January 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

I agree the white does make the other fabrics look a bit washed out. I think a pretty blue would be nice or aqua would be good too.

11. Posted January 13, 2011 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

i like the aqua, too! how fun to see the options, though. this is going to be a fun quilt. you have BEAUTIFUL scraps!

12. Posted January 13, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

I like the teal – it brings out a lot of the fabrics!

13. Posted January 13, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

What a fun quilt! I agree that the aqua looks great.

14. Posted January 14, 2011 at 1:31 am | Permalink

My eye goes straight to the aqua, so I think that one.

15. Posted January 14, 2011 at 1:59 am | Permalink

I’m a loner, but I like the yellow! Closely followed by the aqua, though. I’m with you on the white – it is too stark and washes out the fabric swatches. You are doing a good deed making this quilt! What a terrible situation over there!

16. Posted January 14, 2011 at 2:53 am | Permalink

I think the aqua looks great. I like this WIP. I had never heard of a Hera marker (I’m new to quilting, obviously). I am about to do a quilt with grid quilting. Considering that the grid will go on white fabric, a fabric marker wasn’t going to be a good idea. This hera marker might be the perfect tool for this! I just love getting ideas from people. Thanks for sharing your quilt.

17. Posted January 14, 2011 at 1:18 pm | Permalink

Blue background!! This is a great idea for a quilt to use all of our random small pieces of scraps. Great job! Happy belated WIP Wednesday!

Angie – http://www.craftedAngles.com