Pretty {little} Pouch Swap and Skillbuilding

Recently I have been helping my sister, M, who lives 7 minutes away (at least until August) with a quilt. I’ve been working on various projects while helping her–my pouch (and a demo) for the Pretty {little} Pouch Swap, cathedral windows for Meagan for A Notion or Two, etc. She laughs at me a little bit, asking why I make things for people I don’t know, saying she can’t keep the swaps and bees and whatever else straight.  My answer is two-fold. First, it is fun to sew things for people who appreciate it, and second? Skill-building. These swaps and quilting bees challenge me to improve my sewing skills. They also forces me to branch out a little bit in my sewing, and learn skills that may be easy for some, but were completely new to me: putting in a zipper, cathedral windows, sewing curves, sewing with linen and voile, and learning which interfacing is best for which project. It has been fun, and I’ve liked the results. This pouch, made with linen and Flea Market Fancy scraps (the lining is an Alexander Henry Print, Farmdale Blossom in gray), is headed to my partner in the swap today. I have a feeling she will like it.
This entry was posted in Sewn. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Jodi-JoJoMia's Place
    Posted May 10, 2011 at 4:42 am | Permalink

I love it! Love the colors, love the fabrics and the end of the zipper is done so beautifully. You can make me one anytime! Just kidding…not really…. : )

2. Posted May 10, 2011 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

Love your pouch! Such tiny piecing!

3. Posted May 10, 2011 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

You did a great job…that is a fun pouch!!

4. Posted May 10, 2011 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Love the colors; great job with the zipper too!

5. Posted May 12, 2011 at 7:04 pm | Permalink

Very nice pouch. I’m impressed with all you get done…plus training! I haven’t trained for a triathlon or marathon in almost 8 years now!!! I’m thinking about a 5k…sounds wimpy after the other stuff. So thanks for the inspiration.

6. Posted May 24, 2011 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

That is so cute–of course she’ll like it!!

7. Posted May 25, 2011 at 2:29 am | Permalink

You know I never thought about it but really swaps are great because you know the other person will appreciate the care and thought that goes into your work. Sometimes one will make something for someone and they are so so in their response because they are not aware of the time and thought that went into the gift.

8. Posted June 21, 2011 at 4:03 am | Permalink

I absolutely LOVE this pouch! It is by far my favorite so far that I’ve seen in the flickr group. I absolutely love the fabrics and colors, and the three little rows on the front! :) You did a great job!