The Quilt is Quilted // Summer Sampler Series

I was able to put in some marathon sewing hours this week (thanks to a patient and helpful mom and dad) and this is the finished product! I absolutely love this quilt. I was able to long-arm quilt it, and even went a little crazy and did pebble quilting in the borders. I almost cried when it was done, I was so happy.  I felt a little decadent–the back is made up almost entirely of KJR blue basketweave. It is one of my favorite prints, I had the fabric, and I decided to use it all up! When I see the prices of this print on etsy, I cringe a little bit, but then I reminded myself that I bought it for $5 a yard and it is there to be used.

In case you are wondering, I made four extra blocks because I wanted this quilt to be a bit bigger.  I had planned to include additional traditional blocks, but decided that I loved the Sampler blocks (and didn’t want to figure out the math for additional ones).  I cut the sashing at 3.5 inches (3 inches finished), and the outside border is cut at 6 inches (5.75 without the binding).  I loved my blocks, but with all of that color, they were a bit frenetic. I think the white (or rather, kona snow, which I had to call 15 quilt shops to find, and drive 40 minutes to purchase so I could finish my quilt) sets the blocks off quite nicely.

Rainbow--Summer Sampler Series
Summer Sampler Series: done!
Summer Sampler Series
Summer Sampler Series
Summer Sampler Series Quilted
Summer Sampler Series--the quilt
This entry was posted in Summer Sampler Series and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 12, 2011 at 7:58 am | Permalink

It IS lovely – so colorful and bright yet classic. It’s really a perfect quilt :) And the back is amazing. I just adore the blue rimmed star on the back that ‘breaks’ the pattern.

2. Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:10 am | Permalink

It’s lovely! I particularly like the pop of colour on the back :-)

3. Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Truly wonderful, it is so bright & cheery! I agree the white makes it all pop!

4. Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

Now that I see this beautiful work, oh how I wish I’d joined the QAL. Ah, so much to do, so little time! Hope to join next one…

5. Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Wow! Your quilt looks so wunderful! I love the fabrics and the free motion quilting!

6. Posted August 12, 2011 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Such a wonderful beautiful quilt! Congratulations!

7. Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:14 am | Permalink

So beautiful!

8. Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:41 am | Permalink

I love love love it. So modern. I may need to put this on my TO DO list.

9. Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I incredibly love it! Such a great clean, modern look for a sampler. Great quilting!

10. Posted August 12, 2011 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Oh, wow, this looks amazing!!! I love the size of your sashing, and I adore what you did with the backing! So stunning :)

11. Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:57 am | Permalink

I love it!! You were so quick getting it all together…mine won’t be done for quite some time….nice work; looks lovely

12. Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:59 am | Permalink

Such an awesome quilt! Love your quilting, and congrats on using some of your favorite fabrics! You’ll enjoy them more now than when they were sitting in your stash. (hmm…sounds like I could learn from that!)

13. Posted August 12, 2011 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Absolutely lovely! I like it sooo much! And the back is perfect! Do you have an idea for the binding? Thanks so much for working so hard to encourage the rest of us along!

14. Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

Wow, it turned out beautifully. So inspiring!

15. Posted August 12, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Absolutely beatiful!!!

16. Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

i know what you mean about feeling decadent. i have several yards of a heather bailey print that i love and i just can’t bear to use it all up, because then i won’t have it anymore! i should probably just bite the bullet, eh?

17. Jenny
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:22 am | Permalink

oh Katie it is just beautiful!

18. Jackie
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 11:25 am | Permalink

It’s beautiful and a perfect quilt to use your favorite fabric on!

19. Kristie
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

This looks amazing in KJR! My fave of the summer samplers I’ve seen. Great job, enjoy it!

20. Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:06 pm | Permalink

Good glory, woman, that is one swoon-worthy quilt! Gorgeous!

21. Posted August 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

It’s beautiful!

22. Staci
    Posted August 12, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Just beautiful!

23. Posted August 12, 2011 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

It is GORGEOUS! KJR and these fun blocks … it’s a match made in heaven. : ) And the quilting is wonderful. Great job!

24. Posted August 13, 2011 at 1:11 am | Permalink

Very impressive! Wow!

25. Posted August 13, 2011 at 3:25 am | Permalink

This turned out so grand! Kudos to you for getting it done before summer crept away, and for letting us see your fine work.

I saw that you were in California–where I live! I hope you had a great time and enjoyed our weather–my husband and I have said that for the first summer we can remember, the West Coast is having great weather while the rest of the country is suffering.

Anyway–congrats on your finishing! Love it!

Elizabeth E.

26. Posted August 13, 2011 at 3:51 am | Permalink

It looks amazing!

27. Posted August 13, 2011 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful! Thanks for your inspiration you gave me with the summer sampler – great job!

28. machen und tun
    Posted August 13, 2011 at 5:28 am | Permalink

it looks really, really great! thanks again for guiding us through this :-)
    Claudia

29. Posted August 13, 2011 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I hadn’t been terribly interested in making a sampler quilt … until I saw yours. Now I’m putting it on my “wannamake list”. Congrats on such a beautiful finish.

30. Posted August 15, 2011 at 1:41 am | Permalink

This is absolutely sensational!

31. Posted August 15, 2011 at 4:01 pm | Permalink

They do look lovely floating in all that snow. Shopping online makes me out of touch with the reality that it could take 15 quilt shops to find Kona snow!

And, the basketweave is a beautiful back!

32. Posted August 16, 2011 at 2:49 am | Permalink

This turned out beautifully. All the white adds a modern touch to thd traditional blocks, and colors look great! So cheerful.

33. Posted August 20, 2011 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

This quilt is even prettier in person (which seems hard to achieve since the photos are so great!). It was nice to meet you today at the DC Modern Guild meeting!