For the Love of Solids // Works in Progress

I know that it technically isn’t summer anymore, but if it were, my binding would be the focus of my summer skill building this week. When choosing what to make for my partner in the For the Love of Solids Swap (you all know that if someone whispers modern swap I all but run in that direction these days), I didn’t factor in the amount of binding I would be doing. Alas. I think the finished product will be worth it… and thankfully it is all by machine.

I have wanted to sew up these linen napkins since seeing the tutorial on The Purl Bee last fall. I love how they turned out, and will be making some more very soon! For the placemats (below), I wanted to make something more on the minimalist side, and I hope I achieved that. A bit of quilting, a lot of binding, and these will be in the mail by Thursday morning (which, of course, is the deadline!)  I have a pile of dishes and a birthday present to sew this afternoon.

Have you seen Faith’s Mini-Quilt Mondays? I linked up there… hopefully by the time these are done they will qualify as mini quilts! I also linked up at {Sew} Modern Monday
This entry was posted in Works In Progress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:29 pm | Permalink

Beautiful – I need to make some of these napkins for myself!! Lovely colors.

2. Posted September 12, 2011 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

That is a lot of binding! But they are all so pretty, I think it was worth it!

3. Posted September 12, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Love the bindings! They are just gorgeous colors… especially all together like that.

4. Posted September 12, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Beautiful linen napkins!

5. Posted September 12, 2011 at 10:57 pm | Permalink

Love the napkins! :) Can’t wait to see more! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

6. two hippos
    Posted September 12, 2011 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Seriously loving it all and hoping it might magically be for me :)

7. Posted September 13, 2011 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

love the colors, esp. in that nice pile!

8. Posted September 15, 2011 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

A question – I’ve never sewn with linen. How does it differ? And how would you care for the napkins (ie. washing, drying)? I assume it would be important to use linen for the binding also?