Drawstring Bags to the Rescue

Army Men + Lush

We are in the process (read: it is still a big mess) of rearranging our basement, which is really just one small room. I am happy to bid farewell to our 11 year old tv that hums intermittently, and it is amazing what rearranging furniture can do for a room.  If you have little kids, you may be familiar with the “scattering and multiplying” effect that often occurs with small items–army men, cars, legos and the like don’t like to stay in the same place.  Ever.

I took a break from sorting toys this weekend to sew up a few drawstring bags using Jeni’s fabulous tutorial. I’m hoping (ha!) this will help contain the chaos, and discourage the “flip and dump” method often used when playing. I’ll let you know. For me, I’m just happy to use some of my favorite fabrics on items I will see everyday.

kokka dinosaurs

Fresh Poppy Design{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations
Linked up here :)

This entry was posted in Sewn. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Cute bags! We are doing the same thing right now… Rearranging furniture and organizing the play room. Oddly, I am quite excited about it and hopeful that a few changes will help keep the chaos under control. Let me know how the bags work out. That may be the next step!

2. Posted November 29, 2011 at 12:26 am | Permalink

I absolutely wish you the best of luck. We always have Lego strewn from one side of the house to the other and have tried eleventy million different (unsuccessful!) ways of containing it. It seems like trails of small toys always follow small children. 😉

The drawstring bags are adorable though, I particularly love that dino print!

3. Posted November 29, 2011 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

My son has tones of legos and this would be a great way to contain them. Love the way yours came out and the fun fabrics you used!
    Rearranging furniture definitely gives a fresh feel to a room!

4. Posted November 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Great bags!! Who wouldn’t want to stuff those bags full of toys? I know I would :)

5. Mom/Annette
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

I know that messy toys are a bother, BUT enjoy them because the days truly go by so fast. I would love to have my children young again, but instead I look forward to the days when my three grandkids come to visit. Luckily, Kate’s kids are my adorable grandkids!! They just live on the wrong side of the country – toooo far away.

6. Melanie
    Posted November 29, 2011 at 6:35 pm | Permalink

Great idea! We are rearranging our basement to accomodate both the kids toys and my sewing stuff. It must be that time of year!

Love your bags! I might have to make something like that for all of our blocks!