Single Girl Christmas Wreath

SG WreathEons ago (last January) Megan, Katy, & Nova hosted a Single Girl Quilt Along, based on the popular pattern by Denyse Schmidt. I had wanted to make a Single Girl quilt for ages–apparently, so had everyone else. I knew I wasn’t going to make a whole quilt, so I decided to make just two rings, one for me, and one for my sister-in-law, Amber. I thought I would make her a pillow for her new place. I chose a variety of greens with just a hint of blue, and dutifully cut out templates, cut fabric, and sewed the quarter arcs together. I realized (too late) that the colors were all wrong for her new place.  So, into my “in progress” bin they went. And sat. For months.

Last week, I was looking everywhere for fabric for some bee blocks (located and completed) and found the arcs. I haven’t put Christmas decorations up yet, and thought, “Aha! This would make the perfect wreath for my entry way.”  I finished sewing the arc together, raw edge appliqued it onto a white background, and there you have it. It is the perfect size for my entryway! Now what to do with the other arc… baby blanket, perhaps.

I’m not sure about the binding. The color is right, but the pattern, not so much. I think the pearl bracelet is too large scale for the binding. Chalk it up to starting to bind a quilt at 11 at night. I HAD to finish it, for some reason or another. I’m guessing it will stay like this, because really, who has time to re-bind a small quilt at this time of year!
Single Girl Christmas Wreath

Linked up to Finish It Up Friday and Sew & Tell

SG Wreath
This entry was posted in Holidays, Quilts. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

I actually really love the binding and think it works really well :)

2. Posted December 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

I have to agree with the others. That binding is all kinds of perfect! Totally awesome, Kate!

3. Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

What a cool twist on a Christmas wreath! Love it! And as for the binding, I think it’s a lot of fun :)

4. PaddyAnne
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

I LOVE the binding! Its funky and cool!

5. Posted December 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

i think the binding looks GREAT! and what a genius idea for an orphan block. it’s simply fabulous!

thanks for linking up!

6. Posted December 9, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

I like the binding, too. lol Great idea making it into a Christmas wreath! :o)

7. Posted December 11, 2011 at 12:31 am | Permalink

Nice work! I like how the binding gives a little splash of color. Cute quilt-y Christmas wreath!

8. Posted December 11, 2011 at 12:39 am | Permalink

How fun!

9. Posted December 11, 2011 at 12:58 am | Permalink

This is great Kate!!! Wonderful way to finish the single girl arcs! Love the Christmas greens and then using the red for binding.

10. Posted December 14, 2011 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Lovely! Great way to repurpose a project.