My Sewing Space // Works in Progress

Sewing Corner I love seeing pictures of other people’s sewing spaces. Sometimes (read: often) I am quite jealous of spacious lofts, rooms devoted to sewing with doors that close, custom cabinetry, etc. That is not my reality. My sewing space is a small corner of our dining room, in between large bookcases (filled with books, not fabric. Yet) next to a large sliding glass door. It is always in some sort of disarray, but currently clean enough to sew on. I like being on the main floor, with a dependable machine that is always ready to be used. I’m lucky my kids aren’t curious about the desk, and I like changing up what is on the wall above my head. Currently: a mini made by me, an almost finished hand quilted mini, a mini made by Patchwork Palace, needlepoint I bought near Jerusalem a long time ago, a family picture, inspiration pages… I need a real bulletin board. Any ideas?

This entry was posted in Works In Progress and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm | Permalink

I can definitely relate to having a small sewing space. I have a small corner in what is now vie guest room. My fabric is organized nicely but it hides in the closet. :(

Whenever I’m looking for ideas, I take to Pinterest.

2. Posted January 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Hi! Even you don’t have a sewing room you have so good sewing machine! I have small (very small) sewing room with lots of things stored in – I am happy with it. It’s up stairs with a difficult stairs and only me and the cat come up here! I miss my earlier bigger room to have space for a big table…and I envy your sewing machine!

3. Posted January 10, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

I love seeing people’s sewing rooms!! And I have the same machine and I love it…here’s hoping that one day I’ll be able to have a studio or something. A girl can dream! =)

4. Posted January 10, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

I was going to suggest that you make a work wall like Carol said – batting and fabric (flannel sheets work great) over insulation panels). You could also make an inspiration bulletin board – one of those fabric-background with crossing ribbons to tuck things into might work? :) Or just paint some cork tiles – old frames from yard sales work nicely to frame the tiles.

:) Linda

5. Posted January 10, 2012 at 10:52 pm | Permalink

thanks, everyone. I love the cork tiles… that would be a lot of fun!

6. Posted January 11, 2012 at 12:55 am | Permalink

My sewing room is either my dining room or lounge room. I just purchase a foldable table that people usually use for camping to set up my sewing space.

Have you considered using the Artist Canvas boards for a bulletin board. You can put wadding over the canvas and even colour it up with fabric. With wadding it would also act as a design board

7. Carol
    Posted January 10, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

I love seeing people’s sewing spaces too. I have a bedroom that is sewing, computer and work clothes room. It is usually messy but always warmer than any other room in the house (only 1 outside wall). You could make your on bulletin board with some thick cardboard or styrofoam that you cover with batting and fabric and then frame.

8. Posted January 11, 2012 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

My sewing room is my dining room, too. For Christmas my FIL made me a sewing/cutting table and so I took the plunge and moved my dining room table out of there and claimed the whole room as my sewing room. We never ate in there anyway!