Pretty Palette // Color My Quilt

I’m always amazed when I can actually get from Point A (pulling all fabrics I think might work) to Point B (fabric I’m actually going to use in the quilt.) I am always overwhelmed by how little fabric you actually need to make a quilt (at least in comparison to this unwieldy pile that somehow needs to fit back with it’s fabric friends).  I love the palette of Liz Scott’s Domestic Bliss line, and used it as a starting point, although there is very little actual Domestic Bliss in here…

Does anyone else cherry pick from charm packs? I always do, for better or worse.  This is the quilt I’m entering for the Modern Quilt Guild Showcase (or at least squares for the quilt). I wanted to do something edgy and cool, but since I am neither of those, and it never works out for me, I decided to do something that was more “me,” something I really liked. More authentic that way, I think.  Um, wish me luck!

This entry was posted in Color My Quilt, Works In Progress and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 28, 2012 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Lol wow – there sure is a big difference between that large stack and the charms you went with. These look great together tho, the ones you picked out in the end, can’t wait to see how it comes together!

I have a problem separating charm squares from their friends… it is a bad habit I have with all pre-cuts and any bundles I buy… ridiculous, I know! :)

2. Posted February 28, 2012 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Good luck – I love your color choices!

3. Posted February 28, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

I do that too! I just started pulling charms from my new A Walk In the Woods charm pack for a baby quilt. :) Your quilt is going to be lovely – those charms work so well together.

4. Posted February 28, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Good luck! It’s a beautiful stack! You should definitely do something that’s “you.” Who says that’s NOT cool? : )

5. Posted February 28, 2012 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Ooh, love the fabrics you’ve pulled, can’t wait to see what they turn into!

6. Carol
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

I really like the charms you picked for a quilt. I bet your quilt will look really cool.

7. Vroomans' Quilts
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Oh, I thought I was the only one that did that – I pull charms apart all the time and have a shoe box of the lonely ‘I never get picked for the team” charms.

8. Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:17 am | Permalink

Oh, Kate, I can so relate – wouldn’t it be wonderful if we didn’t have to put all those fabrics back in the stash? Your picks are great and should make a marvelous quilt!!

9. Jessica
    Posted February 29, 2012 at 3:54 am | Permalink

Yes, I cherry pick =P I love the colors you chose!!

10. Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

What a great combo. I recently did some cherry picking too.

And I know what you mean about creating something for the showcase. In the end, we’ve got to stay true to what is more us than what we think we should do.

11. Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

You don’t need luck…you’ve got mad skills!

12. Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

You don’t need luck…you’ve got mad skills!

13. Posted February 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm | Permalink

You don’t need luck…you’ve got mad skills!