Assateague Island National Seashore // The Great Outdoors

Morning mist and our tent!

We spent last weekend camping at Assateague Island National Seashore. We are not big campers here. The last time we went as a family was 2007, and with a 8 month old, it was a bit of a disaster. Fully confident this time that we would enjoy ourselves, we headed out on Thursday. A new, reliable car and the fact that we were going to be at the beach helped our enthusiasm.  We hit paydirt. The kids slept much of the way there and the entire way home.  Our cuisine was not fancy, but we were full. We might do a little more planning next time, and we fully intend to make this an annual May tradition.

Wild Horses on Assateague Island

Assateague is a barrier island famous for it’s wild horses.   The kids were thrilled–we saw horses, deer, cranes and all sorts of other birds, fox (tracks), crabs, toads, and rabbits. “Can you believe, it mom? All of these animals here, in the middle of the wilderness?” The little one loved making tracks and footprints that we had to follow. I highly recommend beach camping at Assateauge–the only precaution? Sand is just as hard as dirt. Bring an air mattress.

Sunset- baysideSo glad they had something to do while we cleaned up camp.

This entry was posted in Great Outdoors and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 11, 2012 at 4:06 am | Permalink

WOW! It looks like an amazing place…peaceful, quiet, remote! I bet its nice to be back in your own bed though!

2. Posted May 11, 2012 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

It was so much fun reading about your Assateague Adventures! It’s one of my favorite places. We’ve never camped there, but make sure to go for the day whenever we are in OC, MD!

3. Posted May 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Pretty! I’m so eager to go camping! Hopefully in the next week or 2!

4. Posted May 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm | Permalink

love your pictures

5. Posted May 11, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

We just missed you! Our family went to OC over last weekend and visted Assateague on Friday. We only saw a few horses, but the year before, we saw three times as many. What a beautiful place!

Maybe we’ll meet in real life one day. I’d like to go to a DC Modern Quilt Guild meeting once at least! But I live down in St. Mary’s, so it’s quite a hike.

6. Posted May 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

It was so fun to read this! My family has a house on Chincoteague so we’re at Assateague all the time when the weather is warmer!! Glad you had a nice time! :)

7. Anonymous
    Posted May 12, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

First “date” with my husband was camping there….with 12 teen agers!

8. Posted May 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

That looks like so much fun, I love those kind of simple family getaways. Great memories :)

9. Carol F.
    Posted May 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm | Permalink

Looks like a great time! Brings to mind my favorite books from childhood, Misty of Chincoteague and the rest of the books by M. Henry! I think I shall pull them off the shelves for summer reading. Thanks for sharing the pictures!