The Race That Wasn’t // Swim, Bike, Run

Annapolis 1I was slated to do the Tri-Rock Annapolis Triathlon Saturday. I didn’t, for a variety of reasons, most of them centering around my health and activity levels over the last month–the flu a case of tonsillitis I had trouble getting rid of.  It’s always hard for me to make a choice when the choice isn’t clear cut–something good for my health without feeling like I’m not wimping out. I hate the thought of wimping out more than just about anything. Saturday I tried not to be melodramatic, I cried a bit, and then I got over myself and was an excellent cheerleader for my best friend (and lots and lots of other racers.) I found a woman who liked to cheer and we yelled a lot of creative and hopefully funny/motivational/not annoying things to competitors a 1/4 mile from the finish. Congrats, Tricia, on a great race.

Next time, maybe.

Swim1

The Swim

bikes
The Bike

run2
The Run

This entry was posted in Swim, Bike, Run and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted May 14, 2012 at 5:51 am | Permalink

Nothing is worse than training and not being able to compete. I hope you will be back to your healthy self soon

2. Posted May 14, 2012 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

My husband has been trying to get back to racing, he took a year off. He was doing great with his training, but then went over the handle bars of his mountain bike. He’s still resting his knee. I love the photo of the bike transition, I’m always amazed that everyone finds their bike. I have seen a few get confused though!

3. Posted May 14, 2012 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

take care of your self and get over everything and you can run later

4. Posted May 15, 2012 at 8:20 pm | Permalink

Awww, I’m sorry you couldn’t race. It is wiser to take care of yourself!! :) Next year!!

5. Posted May 16, 2012 at 1:46 am | Permalink

Hope you are felling better Katie!

6. Posted May 17, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

What a drag Katie! I am glad you had fun despite spectating when you expected to race. Kudos to you for listening to your gut instinct to rest rather than letting your head push you too far and stay sick. Tough choice! who knows, maybe you’ll be able to channel this frustration into a PR next time!