100 Quilts for Kids in 2012!!

If you have been reading Swim, Bike, Quilt for a while, you know that charity sewing is important to me, and a portion of my blog is devoted every year to encouraging others to do the same.  There are so many great charities and sewing circles that do the same; a few favorites are Margaret’s Hope Chest, Bumble Beans Basics, do.Good Stitches, Project Linus, the work done by Sarah and her Quilt Ministry, and Siblings Together.100 Quilts for Kids is a charity quilt drive that the DC Modern Quilt Guild and I host annually.  It has been exciting to witness the time and love that has gone into making the several hundred quilts donated in 2010 and 2011. Ready to get started?

6427958727 18f9d35418 100 Quilts for Kids in 2012!! I’m simplifying things this year. Make a quilt or 2. Donate it to a child in need, locally if you can.
Spread the word to family and friends! Enjoy a blog hop with inspiration and mini prizes.
Join us in a 100 Quilts for Kids Quilt Along (details forthcoming)
Link up throughout the summer to share your quilts and win one of a few great prizes! Link up will be open on my blog from July 1-October 15, so you can easily add a quilt as you finish and donate it.
Smile, knowing you used your skills for good.
If you have any questions now, please email me at swimbikequilt at gmail dot com. Thanks!!!
Check out the 100 Quilts for Kids Flickr Group and start adding pictures now!
100quiltsbutton2011 100 Quilts for Kids in 2012!!
I would love your help getting the word out.
DETAILS AT A GLANCE:
Make a baby or toddler sized quilt–finish a WIP, try a new pattern, find a use for extra blocks from virtual bees, or start and finish a new quilt
Donate your quilt(s) to an organization in your community–consider donating your quilt(s) to a local foster care program, domestic violence center, homeless shelter, children’s hospital, local military family support organization, or to one of the organizations listed above.
5916196976 fb1f9b2379 100 Quilts for Kids in 2012!!
[I started Peacock Blue 2 for 100 Quilts last year. It didn't get finished. Now, it just needs 6 more inches of binding! 100 Quilts provides great motivation to finish your projects or use bee blocks!]

Donate your quilt(s):  Let us know you donated your quilt (and where you donated it) by sharing a link to a blog post or picture on flickr.

For You! To encourage quilters to participate, and to say “thank you,” there will be a few fabulous prizes from sponsors (TBA). I am also putting together a related Skill-Building Series–everyone likes to learn new things, right?
Sponsors: If you are interested in sponsoring the event/donating a fabric or quilting related prize, please contact me at swimbikequilt at gmail dot com.Thanks, everyone!

This entry was posted in 100 Quilts for Kids, Sewing + Friends. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 15, 2012 at 2:36 pm | Permalink

yay! I have a quilt from last year that I didn’t finish in time, and can donate this year…and a charm pack that I took and didn’t use too! plus, a WIP or two, I’m sure…

glad to start early this year…goal to finish three quilts? I can do that, right? :)

2. Posted June 15, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

What a good idea to start earlier this year! I have a quilt I started last year that I didn’t finish that I hope to donate this year. I’ll work on it tomorrow at the sewing day.

3. Posted June 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

You’re awesome! I made 2 last year, and hope to make more this year too. I donate to our local Project Linus. I know you’re terribly busy, but it’d be great to get some feedback on what types and sizes (ie how big is a “toddler” or “crib” quilt?) of quilts work best for these organizations, or any other tips. For instance, my local chapter (Project Linus) loves machine sewn bindings, as they hold up better. I have also seen more need for boys quilts, as most of us are naturally drawn to the floral or feminine designs. Maybe you could get a fabric store that specializes in boys fabric to sponsor you? Just a few ideas to take or leave… Thanks again for such a great cause!

4. Posted June 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Excited to do this again. I made one last year and that was fun to use up some stash and donate it. I have a couple things I had been thinking about making just for this.

Thanks for the encouragement!

5. Posted June 15, 2012 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

I love this charitable opportunity! I can’t wait to get involved!

6. Posted June 15, 2012 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

I’m excited to participate first year! I figure I may not really know what I’m doing quilt-wise, but it’s the love that matters, right? Also, I live in Alexandria and have no idea who to donate too. Any ideas?

7. Posted June 15, 2012 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Can the quilts made for Hands2Help count for this?

8. Posted June 17, 2012 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I don’t’ have a facebook page or flicker, but I do make and donate quilts for kids locally. My most recent donation was to a young mother expecting a new baby already diagnosed with spina bifida. He’s just been born and is doing well!

9. Posted June 18, 2012 at 3:36 am | Permalink

I am so happy to see this going on again! I was able to finish an old WIP last year for this and am going to try my hardest to do this again! Thanks for setting this up!

10. Posted June 18, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

I LOVE 100 quilts for kids!!! I can’t wait to get some quilts going!!!

11. Posted June 18, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Yay!! posted button on my blog, will do a post soon :)

12. Posted June 18, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Permalink

OH! I’m so excited to participate this year- last year I was BRAND new to quilting and couldn’t get it together. This year I have the perfect WIPs to use for this.

13. Posted June 19, 2012 at 4:34 am | Permalink

I’m new to quilting and am looking for smaller projects to work on and this sounds just about right. I’d love to participate.

14. Posted June 22, 2012 at 3:46 am | Permalink

So awesome!! I will definitely be joining this effort!

15. Posted August 27, 2012 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

I am in! we are currently working on making as many quilts/ blankets possible for a charity called Manos en Accion in Argentina. We have 13 quilts so far + 3 crochet blankets and still working for our target in late October. Working on a new quilt so will add the information in my blog with the finished quilt post. You can have a look at our 13 quilts in http://natilittlethings.blogspot.com/2012/08/so-many-charity-quilts.html