Improv Butterflies Quilt // Finished Modern Quilts

Becky's Quilt 2
Perhaps you have seen this quilt before–it is one of the oldest UFO [un-finished object] projects hanging in my closet.  My friend Tricia and I pieced the top (with help from the recipient herself) in January of 2011. It is, as you might recognize, an exact copy (rectangles instead of squares) of Ashley at Film in the Fridge’s Flying Farfalle Quilt , down to the fabric choice (Little Folks Voile by Anna Maria Horner, an absolute favorite).
This quilt recently found it’s way to a very good friend, Becky, who blogs at On Becoming An Artist.  It is ironic it went to her, because I feel like this quilt represents a very stark break in my own artistic journey (I have to refrain from putting artistic in quotes, it seems odd sometimes that i consider myself an artist).
In 2011, I made quilts.  I wanted to make things that were pretty, and this certainly qualifies.  Copying a popular quilt by a popular blogger made sense in my brain, and of course I’m happy with the result.  I’m not sure if I would make an exact copy of another person’s quilt today, although I love to buy patterns and enjoy quilt-a-longs, so perhaps I would. I have evolved as an artist over the last 18 months, and have far too many ideas of my own rattling around in my brain.  Today, as strange as it feels some days, I consider myself a quilter, even going so far as to self-identify as a quilter to my next door neighbor who wondered what I was always taking pictures of in the backyard. And self-identifying as a quilter is a pretty big deal for me :)
Becky's Quilt

Thank you, Tricia, for helping piece the blocks.
Thank you, mom, for binding the quilt.
 Thank you, Becky, for being a beautiful friend.
Binding. Becky's Quilt
Becky's Quilt in the grass
This entry was posted in Improv Sewing, Quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 22, 2012 at 11:29 am | Permalink

It is exactly the same…I love the red backing! And what a great mom you have to do your binding…..

2. Posted June 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

No irony at all for copying when it comes to becoming an artist. It’s a long and venerable artistic tradition to learn by copying the works of the masters. Why shouldn’t that qualify for sewing too? Though my bet is these days it’s your work people are copying to learn their skills.

And…I LOVE this quilt. It is no exaggeration that the thought actually crossed my mind to take it along with me when I started going back to work. My real baby quilt is nearly pristine so I don’t think I was one of those toddlers who carried hers everywhere. But now I think I might understand that impulse just a little bit.

3. Posted June 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm | Permalink

That’s how we all do it Katie…learning experience..the quilt is beautiful..and we all love to get a bit of help along the way. I think it’s an honour for someone to want to copy something of mine…don’t you?

4. Posted June 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

I think we learn best by copying, then developing and diverging away, love how this turned out :o)

5. Posted June 23, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Beautiful quilt and wonderful post. You have your own spin on it whether it is copied or not. I have been tempted by the voile and just might have to get some. I get questions about pictures being taken too :)

6. Posted June 25, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Beautiful. I’ve made this quilt. Fun fun.

7. Posted June 25, 2012 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Super cute, quilt :-) I agree with Katy. If you see something you love and are inspired to make it, that’s a beautiful thing. I’m so glad to have picked up skills following other quilters’ leads. Definitely those skills have enabled me to develop designs of my own, so it all kind of comes full circle 😉

8. Posted July 2, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

If it is any consolation, the farafelle quilt by film in the fridge is a copy of a Gwen Marston quilt from Liberated Quilt Making from circa 2000 and I think Gwen called it something along the lines of Exquisite. In conclusion, making someone else’s quilt is often the leaping off point for other adventures.