The Perfect DIY Teacher Gift // Sewn

Autographed iPad pouch

Today is the last day of school, and I’m feeling a bit weepy about it. Not necessarily because I’m worried about being together all day every day after 9 months of kindergarten (although there is a bit of that). I’m weepy in a happy-sad way. He has had an incredible teacher & aide who value inquiry, science, kindness, and play. He has felt loved and valued. He has learned to work through difficult situations. What more could a parent want? [Stopping here before I get full-blown weepy].

Autographed iPad pouch + zippy pouch

I wanted to make the teacher and para something,  but I didn’t think a quilt was right for either of them. Enter the autographed zipper pouch and iPad case! (His teacher used her iPad all the time in the classroom). Last week, I had each of the kids write their name using Crayola fabric markers on this great handwriting paper. [I used fusible interfacing to make the paper sturdier before turning it over to the kindergartners.]  I made an iPad cover for the teacher using Amber at one shabby chick’s tutorial . The flap feels a little big on mine, but I hope she likes it.  I stuck a photo book and some treats in the zipper bag and iPad case and sent them to school with him. I hope it makes them smile… as soon as they get some kid-free time under their belt.

Autographed Pouch for Ms. P.

My son is heartbroken that school is ending. Heartbroken.  Last night, I had him start a list of fun things to do this summer, hoping it would help. I think it helped. I hope it helped.  Happy summer vacation!

Summer vacation
This entry was posted in Holidays, Sewn and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 20, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

The gifts are adorable and that list is so cute. Looks like you’ll have a great summer!

2. Posted June 20, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

I love that you had the kids sign the gifts – what a wonderful idea. Have fun this summer with your little guy! :)

3. Posted June 20, 2012 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Oh that is the best idea! What a great teacher gift! And your little guys list is just too cute – I would seriously frame it :o)

4. Posted June 20, 2012 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

This is such a thoughtful idea! The teacher and aide will love it.

5. Posted June 20, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Katie you’ve made ME cry! What incredibly thoughtful gifts! My husband would LOVE this — he still has a shirt all the kids autographed with their handprints! Where on earth did you get that awesome fabric?????

• Posted June 20, 2012 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Thank you, everyone, for your comments. @QueenMary The fabric is from fabric.com, I think. I included the link above. I think it made the teacher smile. The kids, I know, LOVED it!

6. Posted June 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Cute pressies, and I think that list should keep you all busy for a while!

7. Posted June 20, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

These are AWESOME!!!

8. Posted June 20, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

What lucky teachers! Hopefully the summer turns out to be just as much fun as school was for him. I love his list!

9. Posted June 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

What a neat idea. And i Love the fabric! Also love some of the spelling of your son’s activities, especially stroeberees! :)