Helix Quilt // Finished Modern Quilt

The Helix Quilt

I am so happy to share these picture of my version of the Helix Quilt. My friend Danelle approached me months ago about a trade (photograpy for quilting) and I jumped at the chance–she is a wonderful local photographer as well as a long time friend. In full disclosure, although I spent much much longer making this quilt than I anticipated (and she was quite patient in her waiting), I love the finished product.

Helix Quilt--quilting detail

As a bonus, Danelle has a friend who owns a long arm, and K graciously let me use it to quilt this one quilt. The quilting took forever, but I think it adds a lot to the finished quilt. I quilted pebbles in the white diamonds, a large paisley pattern in the pink and aqua helix, and a loop-de-loop in the surrounding white negative space.

Helix Quilt Binding

I machine bound the quilt in a lovely pink print that I could have sworn was Tula Pink but was actually this Lila Tueller Santorini print. Hurray for finished quilts and happy friends!

It never showed up in my feed... #helixquilt done!
An Instagram shot of the quilt on my daughter’s bed… I used this pattern and about 30 of my favorite aqua and pink prints, all from my stash. Which is kind of frightening…

Helix Quilt--so many favorite prints
This entry was posted in Quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted October 1, 2012 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Oh hooray! I’m thrilled to see this beauty finished.

2. Posted October 1, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

this is absolutely beautiful!

3. Posted October 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Oh, gosh, I love this quilt!!! It turned out so beautifully, Katie!!

4. Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

a picture is a treasure forever and so is this quilt. love the scrappy mix of fabrics and the quilting detail, a true labor of love.

5. Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Lovely.

6. Posted October 1, 2012 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

This is a wonderful quilt. What a great pattern.

7. Anonymous
    Posted October 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Absolutely gorgeous–great pattern, very nice work! Rose

8. Posted October 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm | Permalink

it looks so pretty! I too get scared when I can pull something like that entirely from my stash. 😛 But happy too.
    Beautiful quilt! I love it on the bed! And I too love doing trades for photos!

9. Posted October 1, 2012 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

It’s beautiful! I agree–stash shopping can be a little crazy. I was looking through mine last night and honestly found some stuff I didn’t even know I had.

10. Posted October 1, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

What a pretty quilt! No worries about your stash, I’ve seen some photos online that make me feel ok about mine!

11. Posted October 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! I made a Helix quilt a few years ago and loved it! You did an awesome job! : )

12. Posted October 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Permalink

I really like it.

13. Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:01 am | Permalink

very cool! I like the weaving effect and the quilting is so nice….I love pebbles.

14. Posted October 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

It turned out so well! What did you think about using the long-arm? Had you done that before? I am so anxious to get to try it out – I keep thinking about trying to rent time on one, but decided to try to see how well I can do FMQing on my machine after watching Angela’s Craftsy class and reading her book first. (And it so happens that I have a TON of things to practice on for 100 Quilts for Kids, though I know I’m not going to finish all of them by the 15th. I spent all day yesterday on them, and made a cute little EPP hexy panel for one that turned out super cute…now I just need to make the rest of the quilt and backing.) So many quilts, so little time! :)

15. Posted October 4, 2012 at 4:26 am | Permalink

This is so pretty Katie. You did a beautiful job on both the piecing and the quilting

16. Posted July 21, 2013 at 8:22 pm | Permalink

I like this because it’s different and interesting! I want to use smaller squares and do a border like this but not sure how the corners would be.
    Thanks,