2012: The Year of Learning

2012 Quilts
I wanted to share some of my favorite quilted projects in 2012. You can see most of my 2012 finished projects on flickr.  They all look kind of crazy next to each other, don’t they?
This years theme, in a nutshell, was, “Well, I learned something…” I can’t tell you how many times I told my husband, my mom, a friend, or my kids, “Well, I learned something today…”

Some of the things I learned  were silly.  For example, I can’t make it to the gym after preschool but before daycare closes if I want everyone to remain sane.

Some were profound: my husband is an excellent father, and took the kids on adventures every Saturday for months on end. I missed them. A lot.

I learned that giving up serious exercise for most of the year will make me gain 15 pounds and be that much grumpier in the morning than I might have otherwise been.

I learned that I missed reading books.

I learned that I have too much fabric.

I learned that you can’t spray baste voile very well.

I learned that 8, 9, and 10 year old Cub Scouts makes me laugh, and that being a cubmaster takes endless amounts of time.

I learned that my husband is an incredible man, thoughtful and caring, as I watched him lead our church congregation over the past 6 months.

I learned that my kids are hilarious, and that my daughter, especially, has a mind of her own. And is not afraid to share it. And if it doesn’t matter (like wearing crazy outfits), then I need to just let it go.

I learned that I miss singing in a choir of any sort.

I learned that my mom would drop everything to come and help me out for a few weeks.

I learned that my kids REALLY love water slides.

I learned that I miss riding my bike.

I learned that I still love sewing.

And finally, I learned that I have some really, really good friends, near and far, that I cherish.

Thank you, everyone! Happy New Year!

This entry was posted in Quilts, Sewn. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted December 30, 2012 at 3:43 am | Permalink

Lovely quilts, Katie, and a thought-provoking post! Sometimes it’s good to look back and see what you’ve learned – thanks for reminding me!! Happy New Year!!

2. Posted December 30, 2012 at 6:41 am | Permalink

Great blog post to sum up the year. Lots of lovely lesson learned! Happy New Year!

3. Posted December 30, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

This comment has been removed by the author.

4. Posted December 30, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

What a great review of the past year – both in pictures and words. I think it is incredible how much you take on and get done. Best wishes for the coming New Year!
    Linda F.

5. Posted December 30, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

Happy New year Katie!! Sounds like an amazing year for you. Here is to an amazing 2013!

6. Posted December 30, 2012 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Life lessons…. ahh! Thanks for sharing your lessons learned. So precious! I’m hosting a year-end linkup if you’d like to join: http://www.craftbuds.com/craft-buds-2012-year-in-review-link-party/ We’d love to have you!

7. Jessica
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Great post. You made so much this year – you should be so proud :) Happy New Year to you and your family!

8. Posted December 30, 2012 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Those are great things to learn! Makes me wonder about the things I’ve learned this year.

9. Posted December 31, 2012 at 1:02 am | Permalink

What a great post! I’m so glad I could learn some things along with you this year. : ) Happy happy 2013!

10. Posted January 2, 2013 at 12:09 am | Permalink

What a lovely post! I really enjoy taking in the past year and remembering all the good. Happy New Year Katie!

11. Posted January 2, 2013 at 4:55 am | Permalink

This was a beautiful post Katie. I am so glad we are friends

12. Posted January 2, 2013 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

I’ve always believed that any day on which you learn something is a successful one! May 2013 be just as successful! :-)