Flannel + Voile Pillowcases // Favorite Things

Little Folks Pillowcases

I wanted to make something simple that I could take with me to Quilt Con, and I wasn’t in the mood to make a bag (until it was too late). I had a few yards of pre-washed Anna Maria Horner flannel and voile on hand, and decided a few flannel pillowcases would make an excellent gift.

I called my mom, and she walked me through the construction of these pillowcases via FaceTime. They take about 15 minutes from start to finish, and I think they turn out so nicely! My favorite part: the seams are encased in the cuff, so there are no raw edges. Plus, pillowcases don’t have to be *exactly* the right side to be functional and beautiful.
pillowcases

American Patchwork & Quilting has a tutorial similar to the one I used as part of their 1 Million Pillowcase Challenge, without the extra strip of fabric.

Little Folks Voile Pillowcase detail

If you make any of these pillowcases, I found that the voile accent strip lays flatter and looks better than the flannel strip. Happy sewing!

This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Sewn and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 22, 2013 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

I think I am going to make one for my secret sister at Sew South

2. Posted February 22, 2013 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I love making these pillow – I’m making two sets this weekend – although I am completely smitten with your fabric choice!

3. Maggie
    Posted February 22, 2013 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Beautiful pillowcases! I really want to make some of these.

4. Posted February 24, 2013 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

I hadn’t thought of using voile as the strip – thanks for that tip I can see how it would cause less bulk. Once you wrap your head around the backwardness of the process of making a tube, it’s a pretty fun tutorial. I tried to write out instructions when we made them for charity and watching a utube video was so much easier than explaining. Hope you are enjoying QuiltCon

5. Posted September 23, 2014 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

I love these! I am going to make Christmas pillowcases for my kiddos this year. Can I ask how you added the accent strip?

Posted September 24, 2014 at 12:53 am | Permalink

Ha ha. I can ask my mom! I have no recollection. It’s the same basic process as the American patchwork tutorial. All the seams are enclosed. I’ll get back to you :)