Favorite Things: A New Blog Series

Today I’m starting a new, weekly series called “Favorite Things.” Perhaps I miss writing Friday Favorite posts for the DC Modern Quilt Guild and the Sewing Summit blog, or perhaps this is a step towards being  more well rounded in the way I spend my creative time. Either way, I’m really looking forward to the series.

Blackwaterfalls_fridayfavorites_swimbikequilt
Each week, I plan to share a favorite “something” with you– either an adventure, a small sewing project, a recipe, or a training moment.
Blackwater Falls, West Virginia
You may have guessed that today’s post falls under the “adventure” category.  I live about ten miles outside of Washington, DC. Over the years, we have spent a good chunk of time exploring the local museums, sites, landmarks, and interesting spots that DC, Alexandria, and Arlington have to offer.
In the last year, my little family has made an effort to spend time away from the city too, including our favorites from 2012, camping on Assateague Island and cross country skiing in Herrington Manor, MD.
Blackwater Falls, WV

Last weekend, we drove 3 hours to Blackwater Falls, West Virginia and enjoyed being together as a family, hanging out with friends, playing in the snow, sledding, cross country skiing, and laughing together.  The little one and I spent an hour or two cross country skiing together. We alternated between actual skiing and ditching our skis and sitting in the snow banks instead. It was pretty hysterical.

Blackwater Falls, West Virginia
I highly recommend looking for a state or national park within a few hours drive of home this year. Rent a cabin or tent camp, spend time with friends or family (or both), and spend some time in nature.  I promise you will leave feeling recharged. Well, at least recharged enough to face all of the laundry when you get home.
Blackwaterfalls2_fridayfavorites_swimbikequilt

Happy Adventuring. It is good for the creative soul, too.
Blackwater Falls, West Virginia
This entry was posted in Favorite Things. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

spectacular photo’s!!! I had to laugh when I read ‘at least recharged enough to face all of the laundry when you get home’ that’s always a bummer when you come home after a couple of days just enjoying family, friends and nature :-)

2. Posted February 8, 2013 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

What a magical trip. I loved camping at Assateague Island when I was a kid.

3. Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

We love Assateague Island too, but haven’t camped there yet… Amen to getting out and enjoying your state parks!

4. Posted February 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

I love your photos and the idea to rent a cabin! I would LOVE to do that.

5. Posted February 8, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Katie this was a great post. The photos are beautiful and I feel like I was there with you on this adventure.

6. Posted February 8, 2013 at 6:52 pm | Permalink

WOW! Such beautiful photos! I can see why this is in the “favorite things” category!

7. Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Wow,I love those photos!! Gosh, it’s like a winter wonderland! That sure does sound like a lot of fun :)

8. Posted February 8, 2013 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Love your pics! I grew up in the DC area and we would spend a week each summer with friends from all over the country at Assateague Island. Harper’s Ferry in WV is another favorite–ripe with history, but fun to tube in the water, too (if you still can). A few weeks ago I went on a winter beach trip here in OR and LOVED it. Thanks for the inspiration not to hibernate through the cold weather!

9. Posted February 13, 2013 at 6:31 am | Permalink

Great ideas and beautiful photos!

10. Posted February 13, 2013 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

Beautiful pictures! We live in the desert but my kids all want to move somewhere there is snow when they grow up. I don’t think they realize how cold it is though :-)