Quilt Con 2013

Farewell, #quiltcon. Thanks to #themqg and all of the volunteers for a very professional, engaging show. (lead quilt by @jacquietps)
[View of the show floor on Thursday, before it got crazy busy. Starting with the closest one, quilts are by Jacquie Gering, Cristin Wilson, Rachel Hauser, and Melissa Corry]
Oh my goodness! I’m back from a weekend in Austin, home of good food, warm(er) weather, food trucks, funky shopping, and yes, more than it’s share of general “weirdness.” I loved it! I feel fortunate to have attended the inaugural QuiltCon, organized by The Modern Quilt Guild. Thank you to my husband and friends for watching the little ones, and thank you to the ModernQuilt Guild board and QuiltCon Staff, who put on a very professional, well organized show. I can’t imagine the planning and work it would take to pull something off like this for the first time.I have 50 pictures, mostly of quilts in the show, in my QuiltCon flickr set, if you would like to see more.

The Big O, by Latifah Saafir. Ps. Jay McCarroll told me this was his favorite.
[One of my favorite quilts in the show, by Latifah Saafir]

I had such a fun time rooming with Faith and Lee, and we spent a good part of our time laughing (and instagramming). I love Kim, and it was fun to see her so much! Those three ladies had quite the Austin adventure Saturday night.  My husband was right–part of the reason I wanted to go was for the girl’s weekend! I have been to a number of industry events over the last few years, and I love getting to hang out with people I only see at these events.  I enjoyed making new friends, and am happy to report that I came home without a tattoo, although it seems I was in the minority here.

Waiting for Heather Ross's lecture. #frontrow #whynot
[Front row for Heather Ross’ lecture. Why not!]

So, how did I spend my time at QuiltCon? I did a little bit of shopping (more on that another time), had fun walking through the booths, and I’m not sure I actually took the time to visit every booth. I walked the quilt exhibit a few times, but know I missed some quilts.

I enjoyed my only class, and learned different quilting patterns and technique from Angela Walters–she is a great teacher! I had a lecture pass, and these were the highlights for me:  Kristen Leijniecks gave a fascinating lecture on copyright, I heard a rumor the powerpoint might be posted online–I’ll let you know if it is.  Heather Ross read an essay from an upcoming book, and it was spellbinding. Anna Maria Horner was just as beautiful in her lecture as she is in her blog–I know I’m not the only one who cried when her daughter went to college! I took a yoga for quilters class, and should have ditched the tight jeans for yoga pants. Next time.

Craftsy videotaped a few of the lectures, which are available for free. They also have a “People of QuiltCon” video, which I am in twice.  That was a fun surprise!

One of my favorite quilts in the show. Bee quilt (1st place) quilted by Krista Fleckenstein
[Another favorite quilt, made by a bee and quilted by Krista Fleckenstein]
46 beautiful quilts hung in the lecture hall–each was put together by a Modern Quilt Guild Chapter, and they were donated to the Austin Children’s Center, and will stay on the 46 beds permanently. The quilt made by my guild’s members is on the left. Didn’t they do a fabulous job?
So many stunning charity quilts for #quiltcon ... The #dcmodern ladies did an excellent job (quilt on the left)
 I enjoyed seeing my quilts hanging, and was even happier that my friend Lee won first place in the Modern Traditionalism Mini Category!
Streetscape--one of my quilts is in the show! #quiltcon
Streetscape by Me
Quilt Con--Desert Stars by Me
Desert Stars by Me
And finally, the icing on the cake was that my sister and brother-in-law roadtripped from Houston! I was so sad I got sick Saturday, and wasn’t as peppy as I would have been, but loved hanging out with them on his birthday.
Quilt Con
[Raffle Quilt assembled by Elizabeth Hartman out of blocks pieced by Modern Quilt Guild members]

Thanks, QuiltCon! See you in 2015!

This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Quilts, Sewing + Friends and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 26, 2013 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Great post!!! So happy I was able to see you there!

2. Posted February 26, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

I loved the pairing of your streetscape quilt and Julie’s right next to it.
    I saw you in the exhibit hall and circled around a couple of times like a crazy stalker but didn’t work up the nerve to say hi. So, hi. I’m Jen.

3. Posted February 27, 2013 at 12:05 am | Permalink

I had such a great time with you!!! I feel so fortunate to have you and Lee as friends. xox

4. Posted February 27, 2013 at 1:00 am | Permalink

Okay, you are ADORABLE in that video!

Thanks for posting a pic of my quilt. It was so great to meet you, and to see your quilts. Long live the scrunchie!

5. Posted February 27, 2013 at 2:07 am | Permalink

Oh that looks like so much fun!! I’m loving the colors!

6. Posted February 27, 2013 at 2:18 am | Permalink

Hey you captured my quilt in the first photo!!! (second one back, yay!) Looks like you had an awesome time!!! I hope to be able to attend in a few years… sigh.

• Posted February 27, 2013 at 3:21 am | Permalink

I loved your quilt and forgot to write down your name! I’m going back and editing it now. Thanks!

7. Posted February 27, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on having your beautiful quilts featured and thank you for including a photo of the QuiltCon Charity quilt that your guild made – especially because it’s given me the only peak of the one next to it by our guild- I’m anxious to see them all together.

8. Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:33 am | Permalink

your two quilt submissions are gorgeous! and the guild quilt is still amazing. thank you for answering my question about how the quilts would be used by the charity.

9. Posted February 28, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

It’s been so fun to see everyone’s perspectives from QuiltCon. That makes mine a richer experience! I’m so glad to have met you and was so sorry to hear you had gotten sick. Until next time :-)

10. Posted February 28, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

thank you so much for linking up to the lectures on craftsy. i’ve been enjoying them all morning and i still have quite a few to go. i think that should keep me inspired and motivated for some time to come. i hadn’t heard about that anywhere else (not that i take much time to read blogs these days…) so i really appreciate your link.

11. Posted February 28, 2013 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I’m still basking in the glow of QuiltCon! It was great to briefly meet you at the 80s Dance Party and I wish we’d had more time to chat! Here’s to 2015!

12. Posted February 28, 2013 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

I love the colors in your Streetscape quilt! Congrats on having two quilts in the show. I hope next time to go…