The Day Trip // Finished Modern Quilt

Scrappy Trip Along Detail

Last month, I finished my version of the Scrappy Trip Along quilt (tutorial by Quiltville). I’m calling it “Day Trip,” thanks to Donna’s suggestion on Flickr. I loved making this baby quilt for Dana–can’t wait to meet her baby (soon)! Dana and Natalie and I finally got together for brunch today, so I am happy to share pictures of the finished quilt.

Scrappy Trip Along back

I loved the way these fabrics worked together on the back. 2 are from Heather Ross’s Mendocino collection, the butterflies are from Meadowsweet 2 by Sandi Henderson (I think I bought it several years ago at a DC Modern Quilt Guild meeting with Dana!) and I love the Dear Stella print on the upper left hand side.

Scrappy Trip Along_swimbikequilt

It’s impossible to see in this picture, but I quilted the pieced section (and into the borders) with a cathedral window pattern. Hopefully someday, practice will make perfect. It isn’t as easy as it looks!

Scrappy Binding

I think my favorite part is the scrappy binding.

I previously posted about this quilt here. You can see more Scrappy Trip Along Quilts here, or search via #scrappytripalong on Instagram.

This entry was posted in Quilts, Sew Alongs and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 14, 2013 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

What a sweet modern baby quilt! I love that Dear Stella print too! I’m not an ikat person but for some reason I’m drawn to the blue and aqua line.

2. Posted February 14, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

Love those swimmers.

3. Posted February 14, 2013 at 10:16 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous! Love the scrappy binding too.

4. Posted February 15, 2013 at 3:56 am | Permalink

I love it! I think my favorite part is the extra random pieces you added. That’s unexpected and makes the quilt much more interesting :-)

5. Posted February 15, 2013 at 4:53 am | Permalink

Love your baby quilt! My scrappy day tripper is finally done as well! Time to celebrate another finish – and less scrap in the bin!

6. Posted February 15, 2013 at 5:32 am | Permalink

It’s a perfect little baby quilt

7. em's scrapbag
    Posted February 15, 2013 at 1:55 am | Permalink

Very cute. I love scrappy bindings.

8. Posted February 15, 2013 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Lucky baby! The pieced back is just perfect! I <3 orange!

9. Posted February 16, 2013 at 2:13 am | Permalink

This is super adorable! My friend is having a baby soon, I might just have to make her something similar to this :)

10. Posted February 16, 2013 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Nice! I like these blocks with the borders; that’s way cool!

11. Posted February 21, 2013 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

i spent a ridiculous amount of time looking through the scrappy trip along group on flickr yesterday. i think i’m going to start a big one…eventually. but your version is one of my very favorites. i adore it.

12. Posted February 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I love the way it turned out!