Roderick Kiracofe Vintage Quilts // Favorite Things

One of the historic quilts. #vintagemodern #quiltcon

It is no secret that I love vintage quilts–they speak to me. I’m sure if I had a bigger house I would have a collection. I loved that a handful of vintage quilts (from the collection of author and collector Roderick Kiracofe) hung in the quilt show at QuiltCon.  Modern quilters can learn a lot about technique, color, improv, using what you have, accent quilting, etc. from these quilts.

Vintage Quilts from the collection of Roderick Kiracofe.
While at QuiltCon I listened to a lecture by Meg Cox of the Quilt Alliance. She talked about documenting quilts, and made a call for modern quilters to add their voices to Quilters’ Save our Stories (an oral history project) as well as the 3 minute video project Go Tell it At the Quilt Show. Perhaps you want to get involved?
QuiltCon
If you are interested in learning more about vintage quilts, or find inspiration from vintage quilts, you should also check out The Quilt Index, an online database with quilts from all over the world. Ms. Cox reminded the audience that these aren’t magazine worthy shots, but instead are part of a grassroots documentation project 😉  Every once in a while I browse through the Quilt Index, and I recently found this one that I think is pretty awesome.
Dawley, Ula, Flying Geese, 1901-1928, From Connecticut Quilt Search Project, Published in the Quilt Index, http://www.quiltindex.org/fulldisplay.php?kid=47-7B-9AD. Accessed: 02/26/2013
Happy searching.
This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Sewing + Friends and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Mary
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm | Permalink

I am a vintage quilt junkie, too. People just used leftovers from clothes or upccyled fabric and instead of relying on pretty fabric to carry you, you needed a cool pattern which is my favorite part of quilting. I love the weird fabric combos. I dunno, seems to me this is a more pure form of quilting than we do since it stretches people to use what they have and problem solve. I would like to move toward making stuff like this and stretch out of my matchy comfort zone!

2. Posted March 1, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous quilts! My neighbour has 2 quilts made by her mother and grandmother in Scotland in the early 1920’s. they are beautiful. Her grandad works at the Singer factory in Scotland, and she gave me her mother machine!

3. Maggie
    Posted March 1, 2013 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I recently bought some vintage blocks and I really want to use them. Have you heard any opinions on this? Is this taboo among vintage quilt lovers? All of the sources I have read online seem to say I should find vintage or repro fabric for the rest of the front while using modern fabric for support on the back. I am inclined to use modern fabric (or fabric from my stash, some of which would be vintage because I have had it so long). I won’t pretend the quilt is vintage, I just feel sad that these poor blocks never got to meet their potential.

4. Posted March 1, 2013 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

I have a couple of vintage quilts that have been given to me over the years. I would love to date them. Any ideas on how one would go about doing that? The ladies at my local quilt shop can’t help me, I already asked.

5. Posted March 2, 2013 at 2:47 am | Permalink

I am going to check out the sites you mentioned and I have pinned that top quilt. I would love to try and make it.

6. Posted March 4, 2013 at 1:39 am | Permalink

I love vintage quilts too. So much inspiration!