Kite Festival Quilt // Works in Progress

A little Field Study improv @dcmodern

Each year, the Smithsonian hosts a Kite Festival on the National Mall. Each year, we plan to go (but haven’t made it yet!)  When I started laying out these improv diamond blocks, they reminded me of kites in the sky, far away and a bit distorted. I love the look of Anna Maria Horner‘s Field Study with the 15 or so neutral solids.

Recently, I started sewing the blocks together, much like you would put together a puzzle.  I looked at the almost sewn together quilt top and realized that 40 or so of these quilt blocks sewn together just looks like a mismash, not whimsical as I had hoped. I unpicked the top into smaller clusters, and am going to add in some additional large solid pieces to tone down the top a bit.

WIP: Kite Festival
Normally, I would have been annoyed at all that unpicking. As it happens,  I tore/strained a muscle in my calf Friday night, and am on crutches for the foreseeable future. My guess is that it means the blog will be a little quieter than I had planned in March and part of April. Alas. I might have to take up hand sewing in earnest.
This entry was posted in Improv Sewing, Works In Progress and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted March 6, 2013 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

Oh no! Hope you have a speedy recovery. Much more fun to be handsewing than unpicking, but at least your being productive!
    E xx

2. Posted March 6, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Oh dear, I am so sorry!! Best Wishes on a speedy recovery :)

3. Posted March 6, 2013 at 7:30 pm | Permalink

Ouch, feel better soon!

4. Posted March 7, 2013 at 11:30 pm | Permalink

The sewing will help distract you from the pains! Get well soon and keep us posted on your fantastic Kite kuilt design. I think it’s going to be a lovely creation. Maybe include some of those BIG Japanese kites in your design for scale if you are making a big quilt. I always want to go to that festival too and have not made it either. Maybe we should add it to the DC Modern Quilt Guild calender.

5. Posted March 8, 2013 at 6:19 am | Permalink

I like the first layout, too. Get well soon.

6. Posted March 8, 2013 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

It didn’t look like a mishmash, just not your usual style!
    Oh Katie, I feel your pain. I took up some handsewing when I blew out my knees. Got me through, but not the same.

7. Posted March 13, 2013 at 4:43 am | Permalink

sounds like the perfect time to take it easy and do what makes you happy. Rest up…we’ll be here when you are ready to share.

8. Posted March 29, 2013 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I love this idea of yours of kites in the sky! Especially the ones with the gray and light blue. Maybe throw in some pale yellow, too, for the sun in the sky! Can’t wait to see it done. I just LOVE AMH fabrics!! I bet it would look great also with some Kaffe Fassett!

9. Holly u
    Posted March 30, 2013 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear you’re injured. I hope this doesn’t throw too big a wrench into your training and racing plans for the year. Take care of yourself!

Posted March 30, 2013 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Thanks. Luckily I am able to walk now, and doing some PT. I’m hoping to run in a few weeks…