Super Star Quilt in Quilty Magazine

superstar_swimbikequilt_quilty_2

My Super Star Quilt  is in the latest (May/June 2013) Issue of Quilty Magazine!  [We went to Jones Point this morning, and you can see Little Tiny on her big bike in the corner. Love that girl.]

quilty_swimbikequilt_superstar_6

I loved working with the people at Quilty, and had fun making this baby quilt (36” x 36”).  I went out on a limb a bit with the purple, and I’m so glad that I did.  Super Star is just a single, supersized star block, and I quilted this version in close together, straight lines, which you can see better in the picture below.

superstar_swimbikequilt_quilty_4

I finished this quilt 6 or so months ago, and I’m so happy to have it home in time for a lecture I’m doing this Friday at the Sister’s Choice Quilt Guild in Falls Church, VA. I’m covering two topics–the first is the publishing process (blogs, magazines, and books). Since the guild is a traditional group, they also asked me to talk about the burgeoning quilting style, sometimes called Modern Traditionalism, which blends both modern and traditional blocks and techniques to create something that doesn’t quite resemble either modern or traditional quilts. It is probably the space I feel most comfortable in as a quilter, and a style that I gravitate towards. Yeah, quilts!

superstar_swimbikequilt_quilty

I was hoping to get a picture in front of the Potomac River, but the wind wasn’t super cooperative. This is the first time my 3.5 year old has held up a quilt for me. I had to pay her a quarter.

This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Patterns, Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. becky
    Posted June 17, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

I love it! Both the quilt and the story about the quarter.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:31 am | Permalink

Thanks, Becky. Pretty great about the quarter. Love that girl.

2. Jamie
    Posted June 18, 2013 at 4:06 am | Permalink

What a pretty and bold quilt! Looks great in the photos! I’ve never heard if traditional modernism but I think it might be my style as well.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:30 am | Permalink

Thanks, Jamie. Sometimes people say traditional modernism and sometimes people say modern traditionalism–I first heard it coined that by the MQG leading up to QuiltCon. I think there is so much room for exploration and innovation in that area of quilting.

3. Posted June 18, 2013 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

The quilt is really wonderful and does seem to be a good example of what you’re going to talk about. My traditional quilt guild (who you are speaking to in November) are all very interested in the modern movement and all very excited that there are so many younger women (mostly – sorry guys) interested in sewing and quilting.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:29 am | Permalink

I’m really looking forward to speaking to your guild in November. I have a file where I have been filing away all sorts of blogging tips for the last year or so. Now if only I actually used all of those tips myself!

4. Posted June 19, 2013 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

It’s gorgeous! Congrats. :-)

Fabulous shooting location, too.

5. Amy L.
    Posted June 19, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

Niiiiiiice!!! Can’t wait to see it up close and personal day after tomorrow!

6. Posted June 21, 2013 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

I would love for you to give our group the chat about getting things published. What a cool speaking gig!

7. Posted June 24, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

You got off cheap! I usually have to buy a latte : ) Your quilt is gorgeous

Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:28 am | Permalink

Luckily, she is only 3 and a poor negotiator. Her brother on the other hand… quarters aren’t quite as enticing.

8. Posted June 26, 2013 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

why have i never considered paying my husband to hold up quilts? maybe not in quarters…but if i offered coffee he’d be all over it.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:27 am | Permalink

Seriously, I think we would have much more willing participants if we paid our quilt holders. I’m just lucky N loves quarters right now…

9. Posted July 1, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

it’s beautiful and your little model is the perfect size to hold this quilt.

10. Posted July 7, 2013 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

What an absolutely stunning quilt! I don’t often think to use purple — but it’s my son’s favorite color right now and he’s always encouraging me to use it in my own projects. I love the merging of traditional blocks with modern aesthetics.

Posted July 9, 2013 at 2:26 am | Permalink

Thank you, Jess. Purple was kind of a leap for me, but I’m so glad I did!

11. Posted July 10, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Permalink

Superb color choices! The purple really makes it! I love this quilt and I’ve pinned it to my “Quilty Goodness” board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you’d like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

Posted July 12, 2013 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you! The purple was kind of a stretch for me but I’m so glad I did it!

One Trackback

• By ::Inspired:: | SEW KATIE DID on June 24, 2013 at 3:05 pm

[…] Katie’s Super Star Quilt, in the May/June Quilty issue was the final inspiration.  I was smitten with her color combo from first sight, so my original color way with the citron migrated to the back. […]