“I’m Not Little” String Quilt // Finished Modern Quilts

I'm Not Little Quilt Closeup by SwimBikeQuilt

I finished binding this quilt last weekend on our way to Charleston, West Virginia. What a beautiful place!  This quilt is for my daughter’s twin bed–and she can never decide if the chicks or the princesses or the mermaids or the elephants or the (you get the point) are her favorites. Maybe she will even let me put the coordinating fabric hoops back on her wall.

Pretty_Quilt_SwimBikeQuilt

The absolute worst thing you can say to my daughter is to call her little. Absolute worst. So, this is her “I’m Not Little” quilt. It fits her. Its a bit wild and crazy and beautiful and different-ish.  Of course, it is inspired by the cover quilt on Sunday Morning Quilts: 16 Modern Scrap Projects Sort, Store, and Use Every Last Bit of Your Treasured Fabrics.

Of course I wasn’t smart enough to read the pattern, I just kind of went for it. No surprise there.

I'm Not Little Quilt Backing by SwimBikeQuilt

I'm Not Little Quilt by SwimBikeQuilt\ Binding for the I'm Not Little Quilt_SwimBikeQuilt

I absolutely love the binding. It is a voile print from Anna Maria Horner in my favorite blue. The backing is a voile print from Tula Pink’s line the Frog Prince, which is so very soft and pretty. Happy days, the quilt even made it through the wash and is safely on her bed. She helped me sew quite a bit of it, and she loves it. Mission accomplished.

Binding by SwimBikeQuilt

This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 8, 2013 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

It’s so pretty Katie!! That’s a quilt that will grow with her. Great job. :)

Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Faith. I’m relieved she didn’t change her mind and that she likes it. Although last night she preferred to sleep with a yard and a half of the Briar Rose knit. Ha!

2. Denise
    Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Permalink

Love it

3. Amy L.
    Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

A gorgeous big girl quilt! I’d have a hard time picking between mermaids, elephants and princesses. And she gets to share her dreams with all of them. Lucky girl!

Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:22 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Amy! I was so happy that she loves it. Phew!

4. Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Love the scrappy look of this! How was quilting with the voile on the back? I would like to try it for softness.

Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:21 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Sharon. I think that quilting on viole is pretty standard–you just need to make sure that you baste it really well. And I have never had luck spray basting on voile, so I use pins.

5. Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:48 pm | Permalink

it is so pretty! I love the colors. I love the subtle. I love the scrappy. And the binding. gorgeous!

Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Tracey!

6. Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:32 am | Permalink

What a sweet quilt for a sweet girl!

7. Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:46 am | Permalink

It’s just beautiful, Katie! And i love the idea of the coordinating fabric hoops – a great way to decorate. I never thought about it, but it really is a kind of “I-Spy” quilt, isn’t it? A lovely gift for your “not little” daughter!!

Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

She totally plays I-Spy with it, which is a fun surprise.

8. Sarah @ FairyFace Designs
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 9:43 am | Permalink

So pretty, lucky girl!

Posted August 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Sarah!

9. Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

The palette is just beautiful and the binding is perfect! I really love the backing fabric–it works so nicely with the binding and quilt top!

Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much! My son says the palette is a little wild and crazy, but then so is my daughter :)

10. ylmommyx4
    Posted August 9, 2013 at 3:42 pm | Permalink

It’s a beautiful quilt for your big girl. I’m glad I am not the only person that does not read instructions!

Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Di. There is something about reading directions that just seems tedious. Although halfway through a project I usually wish I had…

11. Posted August 9, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I LOVE this quilt! pretty colors. Never thought of binding in the voile fabrics. I have the Sunday Morning quilts book and love it, I love AmandaJean too! :)

Posted August 10, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much! It was a fun one to make. I would recommend making bias binding with the voile, which of course I didn’t do here because I didn’t have enough. I have bound other quilts in voile and it isn’t as hearty as cotton (or my daughter just chewed on it a lot.) I had to replace portions of it.

12. Lauren aka Giddy99
    Posted August 10, 2013 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

It’s so beautiful!

13. Posted August 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

Lucky girl, I bet it’s so cuddly with a voile backing. And I love that shade of blue too. Perfect with so many things. Lovely!

Posted August 17, 2013 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Jessie. It was fun to make a quilt of all of my favorite things that she actually signed off on, too!

14. Posted August 21, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Ooh! Love how it finished off.

15. beth lehman
    Posted October 7, 2013 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

oh, goodness!!! it is absolutely fabulous!! this is my favorite kind of quilt… and it’s high time i tried one like it!