The Pacific Ocean // The Great Outdoors

photoSomething about the Pacific Ocean always says “home” to me–the smell of the sea and air, the sound of the waves crashing and a bit of shrieking as we catch sand crabs, watching the pelicans dive for their meal and trying to pretend that there aren’t really fish in the water–it is all perfect. We didn’t even mind the freezing temps of Santa Cruz. Much.

What about you? Is there a place that reminds you of happy childhood memories, or always feels like home?

This entry was posted in Great Outdoors and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 23, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

I grew up in Va. Beach and feel the same way about the ocean. The sound of the waves, sea gulls and smell of the air take me back to when I was a little girl. Your picture did too!

2. Posted August 23, 2013 at 3:30 pm | Permalink

Yes, definitely – the Atlantic Ocean!! Specifically the Wildwood NJ beach – our vacation spot when I was a kid!

Posted August 24, 2013 at 5:58 am | Permalink

We have never been to NJ beaches–usually head to MD coast, but I’ve always wanted to go North a bit.

3. Christi
    Posted August 23, 2013 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Love your blog. We just moved away from Santa Cruz 2 years ago. My husband was a local and it was home to me for 2 decades. Love that smell!

Posted August 24, 2013 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Thanks, Christi. I can imagine moving anywhere else is a bit of a shock!!

4. Martha
    Posted August 23, 2013 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I love the ocean, grew up and still live in Missouri, but the ocean holds my heart:):)

Posted August 24, 2013 at 5:55 am | Permalink

I think the ocean is magic. If it gets in your blood… you always want to return.

5. Joan Rodriguez
    Posted August 23, 2013 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

I grew up in the Bay Area; Santa Cruz was where we went to enjoy the beach and Boardwalk.

Posted August 24, 2013 at 5:54 am | Permalink

My kids LOVE the boardwalk. It’s like heaven. I grew up going to Santa Cruz, too, so it’s fun to come back and enjoy it with the kids.

6. Posted August 23, 2013 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

I live in Santa Cruz! I love it here. :) But for me, home is always the smell of Eucalyptus. :)

Posted August 24, 2013 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Love Santa Cruz–don’t you think there should be eucalyptus groves (?) near the beach. That would be lovely!

7. Tricia
    Posted August 24, 2013 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Tall skinny clusters of palm trees, at least 104 degrees, no humidity, and open blue skies. Mesa! I’m home.

Posted August 24, 2013 at 5:52 am | Permalink

104 degrees. You are definitely a rock star. :)

8. Sandra
    Posted August 24, 2013 at 2:16 am | Permalink

What a glorious picture! I’m a Brit, transplanted to Atlantic Canada, so the coastline was always part of our vacation and year round memories (an hours drive on a Sunday afternoon….)
    We have some coastline in New Brunswick, but nothing like England. So lucky to have beautiful beaches close to home…

Posted August 24, 2013 at 5:52 am | Permalink

The beach is only 45 minutes from my parents’ home, and I really think the ocean has a pull over people that grew up going to it. I’d love to experience the English coast someday.

9. Posted August 24, 2013 at 4:46 am | Permalink

For me it’s the beaches of Malibu, Zuma and Paradise Cove. On a hot summer night we would escape the heat of the valley and my dad would load us in the station wagon after dinner. He would fish off the pier or shore while we 3 kids would play in the sand and surf. The simple pleasures of a childhood long gone.

Posted August 24, 2013 at 5:50 am | Permalink

Oh, what a beautiful memory!

10. Posted August 24, 2013 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

We spent a week in Santa Cruz this summer… but it’s a lot closer to us than you!
    There is just something about the Pacific though — it’s huge and mighty and too cold to be properly tamed.

11. jenni
    Posted August 24, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Permalink

I am from Carlsbad, CA! Thank heavens I still have my parents and 4 siblings there. I miss the smell, the feel of the air, the overcast mornings and the great people. Arizona just doesn’t fill that void!

12. Abby
    Posted August 25, 2013 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

I looked at your post and was amazed. I am in Newcastle Australia and I also feel like home seeing the Pacific Ocean. It really makes it feel like a small world.

13. Posted September 14, 2013 at 3:12 am | Permalink

Oh YES, I too have a cold-ish beach place that brings me right back to the 1970s where I have spent time each and every summer – the rocky coast of Maine. Specifically, I am drawn to Acadia National Park. I love it there so much, I married my husband on the Bar Harbor sand bar at low tide (when the tide is out you can walk out on it, but 6 hours later it is covered with 8′ of water!!) Katie I need to sew with you some time – you always inspire me, thanks girlfriend. XO-Kim (Cindy’s neighbor)

14. Carol
    Posted March 28, 2016 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Looking for a pattern or instructions for strip quilt shown in quilt-it Jan-feb 2013
    Cmillard@madisontelco.com