Washington DC Monuments via Bike // The Great Outdoors

Lincoln_Memorial_SwimBikeQuilt

About every six months, my husband and I load our bikes onto the car and head into downtown Washington DC for a nighttime ride along the National Mall. I think the very best way to see the monuments and memorials along the National Mall is via bike, and its even better at night.  This time, we took our two kids (one on a trail-a-bike and one in a trailer) and my brother-in-law, who has been living with us for the past month completing a rotation at the GW Hospital. It’s been a treat to have him with us; my kids (and the adults) are going to be so sad when he goes back to Texas this week. I have a feeling my sister will be happy, though!

Anyway, if you are local or plan on visiting DC anytime soon, do me a favor! Rent a Capital Bikeshare bike or bring your own, and enjoy the monuments this way. You won’t be disappointed!

This entry was posted in Great Outdoors, Swim, Bike, Run and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 2, 2013 at 12:40 am | Permalink

That sounds like a great way to get around. Do you lock them up outside and go into the buildings or just ride around? Visiting DC is on my bucket list.

Posted August 2, 2013 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

We just rode around and someone always stayed with the bikes (because I’ve been to each of the monuments multiple times I don’t mind). There are places to lock them up, though, and that would be an easy way to do it!

2. Posted August 2, 2013 at 3:33 am | Permalink

I’ve always wanted to see them at night – and now I DEFINITELY will do that by bike one day! Great idea!

Posted August 2, 2013 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

You really should–its much more fun!

3. Posted August 2, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

When we went to DC a few years ago that is how we spent our Easter Sunday afternoon. Very fun and the I too thought it was the best way to see them. I wish we would have done it at night too!

4. Mina
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 12:01 am | Permalink

I love visiting DC, but have never ridden on bikes, This is something I definitely want to do next time

5. ylmommyx4
    Posted August 3, 2013 at 4:13 am | Permalink

Every time you post photos of the monuments I want to move to be close to DC. I love that you can ride your bikes around our nation’s Capitol with your family.

6. Gayle Fahrion
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 4:31 am | Permalink

We did a guided night tour a few years ago. It was a highlight of our visit. They watch the bikes while you visit the monuments.

Posted August 9, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

That sounds perfect–then you can just enjoy everything!!

7. Posted August 7, 2013 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Ho w cool! I totally want to do that!