Low Definition Quilt // Finished Modern Quilt

Low_Definition_2_SwimBikeQuilt

This little quilt started out as an experiment in March, shortly after I tore a muscle in my calf and could barely move. My husband set up my ironing board right next to my machine, I elevated my leg, I had an idea, and I just started stitching. It has been quilted, “un-quilted” (doesn’t unquilting sound so much nicer than ripping stitches out?), quilted, and bound by machine.  It isn’t the most technically perfect quilt I have ever made, but I just love it.

Low_Definition_2_Backing_SwimBikeQuilt

I used a favorite fabric from my stash for the backing– it’s a herringbone print by Joel Dewberry from Modern Meadows. If you like it, you are in luck! Free Spirit is releasing this print (and more!) as part of their new True Colors line.  The binding is a perfect bubble dot from the Noteworthy fabric collection by Sweetwater, and I quilted it using the flower pattern made popular by Angela Walters.

Flower_Quilting_SwimBikeQuilt

I made another version of the Low Definition quilt several weeks later and taught a fun introduction to Improv Piecing class based on the pattern. The second time around, I paid more attention to squaring up my improv blocks, with much greater success.

Maching_Binding_SwimBikeQuilt

I also blogged about this quilt here–I’m happy to be donating this quilt as part of 100 Quilts for Kids. Just two weeks left! We were on the road a lot this weekend, and I was able to finish up 3 (!) quilts for the charity drive. It felt good.

*********

Thanks to everyone who has been working on a 100 Quilts for Kids quilt! I love seeing pictures, so don’t forget to add them to the Flickr Group or use the hashtag #100quilts4kids on Instagram.  The linky party is open now through September 30, 2013, so please add your quilts as you finish and donate them!  [You can link up a quilt from a picture posted on Facebook, a blog, Flickr, etc.] There is also a free Star Bright Quilt Pattern download here– makes a quick and fun charity quilt.

There are two prize categories to check out: Fabric + Thread Prizes and Patterns + a Class

*********

This entry was posted in 100 Quilts for Kids, Improv Sewing, Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Angela Walters
    Posted September 17, 2013 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

What a fun quilt!! A child is going to truly love it!! Hope your leg is much better!!!

Posted September 19, 2013 at 2:16 am | Permalink

Thanks, Angela. And my leg is improved. Hopefully some day it will be totally better.

2. Posted September 19, 2013 at 3:00 am | Permalink

Glad you are doing better! I started biking to school with my daughter every day and thought of you…I have a cheap bike from Walmart and was wondering if there is a type of bike you recommend for me? I ride about 7 miles total a day (not too far, but far enough that I’d like something nicer). Any suggestions? You are pretty much the only person I know who rides a bike:)

I have three quilts to donate and am planning to come to the September 28th DCMQG meeting. Will you be there for me to pass them on to or is there a designee to collect them?

Posted September 19, 2013 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Yay, look forward to seeing you on the 28th. We can talk bikes more then, if you want. My biggest advice would be to go to a nice bike shop and get measured, and try different bikes out. Do you want a mountain bike? A road bike? Or something in between, like a cyclo cross bike, where you are more upright but also have the skinnier tires. Or something totally different, like a city bike? Then, you can know what size you are, what you like, and either buy from them, or search craigslist religiously! I’m happy to answer any other questions, or send them on to my husband, because he is the pro. See you soon!!

3. Veronika
    Posted October 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Wow I love this quilt!! Do you have a tutorial anywhere? I can make out the blocks, but am such a novice sewer I need all the help I can get :)

Posted October 29, 2014 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

I don’t have a tutorial anywhere, I’m sorry. I was working on a pattern before I got pregnant and sick. It isn’t in pretty graphic design form, but I believe I finished it before I got sick. I’ll look. If you are interested in making a similar quilt, I’d be happy to send it to you to “test” the instructions… let me know! swimbikequilt at gmail dot com