What Makes You Happy? [the beach] // The Great Outdoors

Santa_Cruz_SwimBikeQuilt

Yesterday, my friend Emily asked friends on Instagram to share what makes them happy, and I loved reading the responses. Since I’m home with a cold and could use a little cheering up, I thought I would ask the same question here–What makes you happy?

Here is my list, in no particular order:

The beach, a new sewing project, reading to my daughter, watching my husband go on adventures/read to/play with the kids, chocolate, the Instagram hashtag #honestcraftroom, California, family, sleep, hiking with my kids, riding my bike,  flowers, friends, sewing friends, swimming, more sleep, Prius gas mileage, Instagram, and laughing with my sisters.

I felt happier just reading others’ lists and writing down my own, but apparently there is more of a science to happiness than I had otherwise thought.  This week, my husband sent me a Huffington Post article by Jacob Sokol called 12 Things Happy People Do Differently–and Why I Started Doing Them Go read the article and then come back….

Santa Cruz Beach

Hi again. Sokol draws on research done by positivity psychologist Sonja Lyubomirsky that suggests there are tangible things you can do to increase your happiness. Who doesn’t want to be happier??? I have been a little out of sorts over the past week or two, so I picked a few from the list  to focus on in the next month or so (1. Express gratitude; 11. Practice spirituality; 12. Take care of your body).

There is something for everyone on the list, I think. For those of us who blog/read blogs #3 (Avoid over-thinking and social comparison) is probably a timely one.

I would love to know–what makes you happy?
This entry was posted in Great Outdoors and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Lisa in Dallas
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

My faith brings much comfort and joy. Also, husband, kid, parents, nephews and nieces, first cup of coffee, close college friends and those I’ve made letter, bible study group and studies, quilting, the look on kids’ faces when they “get” something, cold weather, boots, giving into a hug, and reading.

Posted October 4, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

An excellent list–thanks for sharing with me.

2. Posted October 3, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

Right now it’s going to see my newborn in the hospital. I get excited every time I pull up in the parking lot with anticipation. Crazy, huh? She’s been there 10 weeks now and she is so close to coming home. I’m full of joy and thankfulness that God has been there taking care of her all this time, giving her the strength she needs to come home and giving me grace to get through this time.

Posted October 4, 2013 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

10 weeks!! Wow. Hang in there mama. Glad you get to see her and I hope she is able to come home soon.

3. Cheryl
    Posted October 3, 2013 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for that article! As a federal employee, I needed that. While I am currently enjoying some quality quilting time at home, the looming threat of house payments can seem near.
    My daughter, puppies, working in the sun, and wine/coffee (depending on the time of day) with my husband make me happy!

• Posted October 4, 2013 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

A beautiful and timely post, thank you! Things that make me happy? Reading to my daughter, wiggly dog butts, time at the sewing machine, and seeing pumpkins everywhere! :)

Posted October 4, 2013 at 5:43 pm | Permalink

A great list of happy things! The wiggly dog butts made me smile.

Posted October 4, 2013 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

I think I emailed you, but I certainly understand the furlough thing. We are going through that too. Yuck. Good luck, and keep making happy lists. I’m trying to do the same.

4. Jenny
    Posted October 6, 2013 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

You know what makes me happy? Visiting your blog and seeing the abundance of creativity and productivity. And, I have to say, I’m especially fond of that picture of you at your machine with the quilt gathered all about you. In the middle of creating something . . . . that’s my idea of happiness!! :) Have a happy day, dear friend!