How to Hang Quilts in Your Home // Try it Tuesday

TryItTuesday_HangingQuilts_SwimBikeQuilt

For the past few weeks, we have been doing some shuffling of furniture and space in our home–carving out a permanent sewing space with a design wall for me in the living room, moving our giant Ikea bookcase to the bedroom–it has seemed like a never ending process. I hope the end result will be wonderful. We are trying to make our space work, instead of pining away for a bigger house with a sewing room, etc.

I never thought I would be a “hang a quilt on the wall” kind of person, but a few weeks ago my husband asked if we could hang one of my quilts on our bedroom wall. Then he found this tutorial by Amy a la Mode. She learned the method from the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles, and it is not only simple but works beautifully!

It is pretty ingenious, inexpensive, and besides hand sewing a sleeve on the back of your quilt, takes almost no time. If you are in an apartment or house you don’t own, the only thing you pound into the wall is two tiny nails–easy peasy. Luckily, this quilt hung at QuiltCon so there was already a sleeve sewn to the back.

Hang_Quilts_On_Walls_SwimBikeQuilt

Check out the tutorial, and then consider hanging a quilt in your home as art. I think you would be surprised by how much you might like it.

More about the quilt here: Streetscape in Triangles & here: QuiltCon

Additional Try it Tuesday Posts here

This entry was posted in Try It Tuesday and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted November 19, 2013 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Great idea:) Thanks for sharing! Love your quilt .. So pretty:)

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

thank you!

2. Linda Bedford
    Posted November 19, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

I also saw her tutorial and tried it in my dining room. It worked perfectly and the quilt looks so great hung this way.

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

I was so happy to find her tutorial. Or even better, my husband found it and did it! Yay for quilts on the wall.

3. Posted November 20, 2013 at 12:48 am | Permalink

Love the colors, looks great on your wall.

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

Thanks! Surprisingly, I really like quilts on the wall.

4. Posted November 20, 2013 at 8:05 am | Permalink

I’m inspired! I never thought I was a quilt in the wall person either but we have some bare walls that could definitely use some color. I love that this method doesn’t leave big holes in the wall!

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:08 pm | Permalink

I couldn’t believe how easy this was!! Definitely try it.

5. Posted November 20, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing this idea! I should ask my husband to hang my quilts like that:)

Posted November 21, 2013 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

I couldn’t believe how easy (and inexpensive) it was! Now i want to hang quilts everywhere!