Try It Tuesday: Quilting with Variegated Thread

Quilting With Variegated Thread at SwimBikeQuilt 1024x1024 Try It Tuesday: Quilting with Variegated Thread

Have you ever tried quilting with variegated thread? I know variegated thread is really popular among some quilters and not at all among others.

I usually quilt with it once or twice a year. I like using variegated thread when fabrics are different ranges of the same color (the greens in my sister’s wedding in 2010), or when there are SO many colors that I’m not sure what color thread to use.

Quilting With Variegated Thread at SwimBikeQuilt Try It Tuesday: Quilting with Variegated Thread

This was the case with this I-Spy quilt I made in 2010 for my kids, which I think is tucked away somewhere. I don’t even have a picture of the finished quilt, but a multi-colored variegated thread was perfect!

Quilting with Variegated Thread SwimBikeQuilt 768x1024 Try It Tuesday: Quilting with Variegated Thread
Last night, I was looking for the “right” thread color for my Lush quilt top and came across this pretty Aurifil variegated thread. I decided to give it a go, and I’m so happy I did!

Variegated thread is easy to find, and most thread manufacturers offer it in one form or another.

One thing I liked about this particular thread is that most of the thread runs from cream to dark tan–there isn’t a lot of dark brown in the thread, and the dark spots are just two or so inches long. It provides depth and interest without having very large patches of dark brown thread on a mostly light quilt top. You can see what I mean just above the spool of thread in the picture above.

I’m not sure I will use it very often, but I recommend trying variegated thread sometime for the right project. It’s just different enough to add interest without distracting too much from the top, and who knows, you may love it!
 Try It Tuesday: Quilting with Variegated Thread

This entry was posted in Try It Tuesday and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Pat (Sparky's Mom)
    Posted November 26, 2013 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

I use variegated thread a lot. I like to use the same thread on top and bottom and I think it is especially accomodating when the back of the quilt is a solid color.

Posted November 26, 2013 at 11:13 pm | Permalink

I wasn’t sure if I should use variegated thread on the top and bottom, but it turned out well! I could see it being very accomodating when the back is a solid–I’ll have to remember that!

2. Sharon
    Posted November 26, 2013 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

I like to use varigated thread as well as color – it sometimes is just the ‘pop’ needed for a finish.

3. Posted November 26, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

I like using variegated thread… especially when I don’t have a lot of white in the quilt top. I have a rainbow thread I like to use on kids quilts with lots of colors and I have a few that read mostly solid except for up close where they add some interest. The ones with the short intervals of color changes are my favorite too.

Posted November 26, 2013 at 11:08 pm | Permalink

I love the idea of threads that read mostly solid–would you mind sending me the name of your favorite? Thanks!

4. Posted November 26, 2013 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

The variegated thread looks awesome! I picked up a spool the other day for a quilt I am making for my sister.

Posted November 26, 2013 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

enjoy! I’m sure your sister will love it!

5. Catherine Pritchard
    Posted November 27, 2013 at 2:35 am | Permalink

Just finished my first sampler quilt top and about to assemble the whole thing. I chose a variegated quilting thread as the colours in the sampler are all quite strong; dark maroon, greens, orange, blue. It has two Kaffe Fassett prints so very saturated colour. Thanks for giving me confidence to give variegated thread a try!

6. Posted November 27, 2013 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I’m hoping to give variegated thread a try soon as the Tula Pink Aurifil box of variegated threads is on my Christmas wishlist. I really like the looks of the one you used above.

7. Posted November 27, 2013 at 9:10 am | Permalink

I’ve used variegated a few times! The one you chose for your Lush quilt is perfect for it.

8. Posted November 28, 2013 at 1:23 am | Permalink

Sometimes it just seems the right thing to do! I love it for certain projects.