Patchwork Christmas Quilt// Finished Modern Quilt

The Christmas Quilt

There is something uniquely satisfying about finishing a Christmas quilt in January. You know that you are *supposed* to feel behind–after all, you missed the big day by almost a month. However, it *feels* like you are eleven months early. I’m going to just go with that feeling.

I made this quilt out of a few Cherry Christmas charm packs by Aneela Hoey. I added in some Dear Stella metallic confetti dots, a ton of Vintage Modern and some Ruby by Bonnie & Camille, a few great black and white prints, some Botanics fabric by Carolyn Freidlander and some polka dots.  (I switched it up from the prints in this post, and I liked it much better).

Quilting Detail

I long armed about 2/3 of the quilt and then finished the rest of the quilting on my Janome. That is a story for another day, I guess. Lots of frustration, some legitimately caused by me and some not. Perhaps that is why I am especially happy to have finished it–I wanted to throw it across the room more than once. I machine bound it in a cute Riley Blake pindot I bought for a different project that just didn’t work out. I’m happy to say it is the perfect binding for this quilt.

Christmas Quilt

p.s. Apparently I thought I was making 3 of these quilts, so I have some leftover fabric. Listed some bundles for sale at my Instagram destash account. @swimbikequiltdestash on Instagram. Thanks.

Destash

This entry was posted in Holidays, Quilts and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 24, 2014 at 10:39 am | Permalink

It looks great! I was thinking the same thing — you are so ahead getting this Christmas quilt done! I have a quilt top ready to make from charm pack squares.

Posted January 26, 2014 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

I really love charm pack quilts, sometimes. And patchwork is my favorite. Have fun!

2. Posted January 24, 2014 at 11:08 am | Permalink

A finished Christmas quilt already. I am so jealous. I also didn’t finish my Christmas quilt in time for Christmas 2013 but I love the idea of being early for Christmas 2014. Great idea that I plan to copy :)

Posted January 26, 2014 at 9:29 pm | Permalink

You really should! It will make you feel so good to finish it so “early!”

3. Posted January 24, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

I like your attitude – 11 months ahead of the game.

Posted January 26, 2014 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Thanks! It was so nice to pack it up and put it in my attic! After the little one got jam on it, of course.

4. Posted January 24, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

This is wonderful, I love simple patchwork squares!!

5. jenni
    Posted January 24, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

I say go with the “done eleven months early” plan, It is darling, and think of how fun it will be to get it out next year!

Posted January 26, 2014 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Jenni. You know, sometimes you just have to cut yourself some slack, I guess :)

6. Tamie
    Posted January 25, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Such an early finish. And so pretty.

Posted January 26, 2014 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

Ha ha. Thanks. Turns out those early finishes can be really empowering!

7. Posted January 25, 2014 at 10:12 pm | Permalink

Very pretty. Love your fabric choices.

Posted January 26, 2014 at 9:14 pm | Permalink