Meet the Vintage Revival Quilts: My Sampler Quilt

Sampler-Quilt

Photo from Vintage Quilt Revival

It’s Sampler week in the Meet the Vintage Revival Quilts series.  This is the sampler that I made (in record time, I might add).  I distinctly remember texting Faith and Lee each time I made a block (all in a few days) and I must have driven them crazy.  I also brought these blocks everywhere–I remember cutting fabric while I was also running a Cub Scout Scouting for Food drive. The 9 year old boys thought I was crazy. I think I did too at that point!

Sampler In Progress

Faith shared her sampler quilt last week, and Lee shared hers on Monday–each of us chose different fabric “palettes”–I chose solids, Faith’s quilt is scrappy, and Lee used an entire line, Madrona Road by Violet Craft, in her quilt. I think Lee was right in her post that the layouts make more of an impact on how the quilt “feels” than the fabric choices.

Assembly Line

I was a little indecisive about using gray or beige, how to put it together, corner stones or not, etc.  My advice is either to plan a quilt like this out entirely before making it. Or, if that doesn’t work as well for you, give yourself plenty of time to mull over the options!

Basting the Quilt

I quilted this quilt myself on my little Bernina, and I have to thank my mom big time. Not only did she fly out last minute to watch my kids so I could finish my portion of the book, but she also helped guide this particular quilt through a ton of iterations.

I quilted each of the blocks differently, left small portions of the block unquilted, quilted a back and forth design in the smaller, colored border, and stippled the beige borders. I attempted an orange peel/dogwood in each center. I’m kind of surprised even now that I just went for it, but I like how it turned out a lot.

I spray basted the quilt, but it didn’t stick very well to the (beautiful) Art Gallery back so I ended up supplementing with pins.

Quilting

I had to share this picture, it is one of my favorites from that crazy time period. I’m not sure if she was trying to remind me that she was still here, or was being her hilarious little stuff. Either way, I love it!

Attached

I am really happy with how this quilt came out, and I mention in the book that if you make a ton of blocks and they aren’t all *exactly* 12.5” square, this method of sashing goes a long way towards hiding the little imperfections.

I mentioned Monday that I’m teaching a Block of the Month at Capital Quilts starting this month if anyone local is interested! I also wanted to make sure you have heard about the Vintage Quilt Revival Block-Along? Sukie from Don’t You Know Who I Am is hosting a  block along beginning January 21st–make 2 blocks or make them all, sew alongs are always a lot of fun!

As if this isn’t the longest post ever, I hope you check out our “official” book website, www.VintageQuiltRevival.com. Faith put together some technical details about using the book CD, information for shop owners about possibleclasses, and any project/block errata that we know of.

This entry was posted in Quilts, Vintage Quilt Revival and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 8, 2014 at 7:22 am | Permalink

It´s a gorgeous quilt. And I love the Picture with your daughter, it´s so sweet. What Kind of batting you use? I never dared to by a whole role of it! cool…

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Thanks for the quilt love. I bought this at Joann’s at the end of the year one year (online). It was 60% off, but still pricey. It is warm and natural. I couldn’t believe when I finally used the whole roll! I also really like Quilter’s Dream batting, in different lofts. Sometimes cotton poly (for a class sample, because it creases less when you fold), sometimes select. It’s pricier, so it kind of depends how much I care about the project… I have just been buying per project lately. Hope that helps.

2. Posted January 8, 2014 at 8:02 am | Permalink

I love your color choices. It’s interesting how the palette of the blocks are quite varied but the quilt as a whole is so cohesive. I think the cornerstones were a great choice–they link up the colors so beautifully. Love the picture of your daughter on the roll of batting–she looks so comfortable!

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Thanks, Brigit. Someday, when she is grown and I have a sewing room, I’m sure that picture will be on the wall! And I agree, I think the cornerstones helped to pull the quilt together.

3. Julie
    Posted January 8, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

I am a little confused by how sashing help with “not quite” perfectly sized blocks. Everything still has to line up. Please share on how you use sashing to make it look perfect. I absolutely love your color choices and the corner blocks.

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Thanks for your question, Julie. I talk about it a little more in the book, but basically, all of my blocks were around 12.5”. Some might have been 12 3/8 or 12 5/8. I cut all of the colored sashing a bit bigger than needed, sewed the sashing around each quilt block, and then trimmed all of them to a particular size (for example, 14.5”). So, sashed, all of the blocks are the same size, although the actual blocks might vary by a 1/4 or an 1/8 of an inch. I hope that helps!

4. Posted January 8, 2014 at 9:06 am | Permalink

This quilt is breathtaking! I cannot wait to make one of my own!! I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of the book, which should be here sometime today according to tracking on Amazon. 😎

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:17 am | Permalink

thanks so much! And thanks for stopping by to say hi.

5. Posted January 8, 2014 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Just checked out your Flickr photos. Your book is now on my wish list (once the bank balance recovers from Christmas!) Lovely colours

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

Thanks Catherine!

6. Posted January 8, 2014 at 2:11 pm | Permalink

I’m using this sashing trick with my bee quilt from last year. Since all the blocks are within about 1/2 inch of each other, this hides it. I’m also putting them on point. Love this tip.

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Yes! I am going to try to figure out the fabrics this weekend and I’ll post something next week. And I agree about the sashing, disguises imperfections just a little bit.

7. Jeni
    Posted January 8, 2014 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Would you mind sharing what fabric you used for your sashing? It is just what I’m looking for…and shopping online is so tricky!

I adore this quilt. Well done. Can’t wait to get your book!

Posted January 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

The sashing solid is from Free Spirit, it is called “raw sugar.”

8. Posted January 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

I just realized why I love this quilt so much. It’s the sashing around the blocks that makes it for me :-) And of course, the quilting, LOL!!

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

thanks so much, Christa. I really like the sashing too, and was inspired by a quilt my bff made :)

9. Posted January 8, 2014 at 11:27 pm | Permalink

Would you mind sharing what line (or lines) of solids you used? I love the palette here. Wish someone would kit it up!

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Thanks for the suggestion, Stephanie. My quilt is at a local quilt shop, but I’ll be there on Saturday. I”ll bring my solid color cards and see if I can figure out the colors, and possibly a place to kit it up!

Posted January 17, 2014 at 6:56 pm | Permalink

I used “raw sugar” which is a free spirit solid (for the background).

10. Posted January 9, 2014 at 5:29 pm | Permalink

Absolutely gorgeous! The sashing just completes it. I think I need one for myself! – Best, Kate

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Thanks so much!

11. Gail I.
    Posted January 14, 2014 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Would you mind sharing which Bernina model you use? Also, did you free-motion quilt for this quilt? Thank you. I am starting this sampler quilt now; yours is beautiful!

Posted January 15, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Hi! I free motion quilted this on my bernina 230–one of the smaller models, it’s about 5 years old. The best little machine, I think! Look forward to seeing your sampler.

12. Kit Little
    Posted January 15, 2014 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

I Love your quilt so much!!! My quilt group is going to quilt-along with Sukie beginning next week – I, too, love your color choices and would be interested in knowing what fabrics you used and how much. I’m struggling with knowing how much fabric to have on hand for the blocks and any help would be much appreciated! Thanks,

Posted January 15, 2014 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

wonderful! Let me get that typed up and i’ll post something on my blog about it! Check back in a day or two. As far as fabric, it’s hard to estimate, because some people work from scraps and others from yardage. For our 12 block summer sampler, we estimated 2 yards of background fabric and 8-12 fat eighths of different prints and colors. I would guess that a few yards of a background fabric (3 maybe? maybe more?) and 8-12 fat quarters should be more than enough. I’m actually going to start working on another one, and I”ll keep specific track this time, although it changes depending on how big your paper pieces are, how many colors you use, etc. I hope that helps just a bit.

Posted January 17, 2014 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I looked today and I used “raw sugar” which is a free spirit solid!

13. Kim Shepherd
    Posted February 28, 2014 at 4:30 am | Permalink

Beautiful quilt! I have my book at last and can’t wait to make this. What is the gorgeous fabric you chose for your backing? Did you choose that before or after you chose your solids for the front of the quilt? Thanks for sharing!

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Hi Kim–I chose the backing fabric after I made the quilt top. It is a print by Bari J from Art Gallery Fabrics–the line was called LillyBelle and the print is Lilly Bouquet Dark. Such pretty fabric!

14. Posted February 3, 2015 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I love your quilt! It inspired the layout in my Modern Farmer’s Wife Quilt. Thank you for the inspiration.