Geranium Dress // Sewn

Geranium Detail
I had such a fun time making this dress for my daughter over Christmas break! The pattern is the Geranium Dress by  Rae Hoekstra from Made By Rae. This is the first dress I have made from a pattern entirely by myself, so I am giving myself a public high 5 for that.

I highly recommend the pattern. It was straightforward and simple (ish)–I used the downloadable pdf, taped the pieces together, and just went for it. Rae does a good job of explaining different garment sewing techniques that a beginner like myself might not be familiar with.

Geranium Dress

I made the dress out of this beautiful Joel Dewberry rayon that I got from my friend Nicole at Finch Sewing Studio. I will admit, it is kind of slippery and maybe not the *best* choice for a beginning garment sewer, but it worked. I have plans to make a few more for her. I’m thrilled to say that she chooses it out of her closet with absolutely no prodding on my part, and most recently wore it to her second screening of Frozen (thanks, Becky!) Is that soundtrack on repeat at anyone else’s house? Aye yi yi.

Geranium Dress_Styled

Honestly, the best part is how she chooses to style it. Ha ha!

Hope everyone has a great week.

This entry was posted in Sewn and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 27, 2014 at 7:02 am | Permalink

Adorable! Wish I had a little one to make it for and the boots are perfect!!!

Posted January 27, 2014 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Aren’t the boots hilarious? Thank you! It’s fun to try something new.

2. Darlene
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 7:59 am | Permalink

lovely dress and good job on your first dress. I love the fabric.

Posted January 27, 2014 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Thanks so much!! I’m just thrilled she wears it. Without prodding :)

3. Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

She looks adorable in it – of course, the boots really make the outfit! Well done!!

Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I’ll tell her you said that. She is always so proud of her outfit choices. :)

4. Becky
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:42 am | Permalink

I purchased this pattern and made a dress for my 4 month old, and have many plans for more! Absolutely love the pattern! And the fabric you chose is perfect :)

Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I wish I would have sewn more clothes for my daughter when she was that little. Good for you!!

5. Martha
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:50 am | Permalink

The geranium is one of my favorite patterns:) love your fabric choice – looks great!!!! And love the boots:)

Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

do you have any other suggestions, about the same difficulty? I’ve looked into some oliver + s ones and some knit dresses, but haven’t quite taken the plunge.

• Martha
        Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:32 pm | Permalink

The Sally Dress is a fun dress to sew, for knits I really like the Skater Dress, Rae’s flashback tee and Craftiness is not Optional Nessie Top. The Oliver+s seashore sundress and ice cream dress are my favorite o+s patterns.

• Becky
          Posted January 28, 2014 at 7:38 am | Permalink

Great info! Thanks :)

6. Lani
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Love the boots with the dress! Beautiful dress by the way, high five back at ya!

Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:25 pm | Permalink

Thanks! Fun to try something new (especially when it works!)

7. Dianne
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:36 am | Permalink

PERFECT outfit. Her smile is the best part. :)

Dianne

Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks. We were in the foyer at church, and she was just SO happy that day. :) It’s nice to remember happy happy days when it is cold and gloomy out (at least here).

8. Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:43 am | Permalink

The dress is so cute but the boots really make the outfit! Looks like you have a little fashionista on your hands.

9. Katherine
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 11:34 am | Permalink

You did a great job! I’ve made at least seven Geraniums so far, but I haven’t been brave enough to branch out from quilting cottons.

Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

7! If you have made that many, you should definitely try one in the rayon. It’s just a little slippery, if that makes sense, and the flutter sleeves are pretty impossible to roll. It is such a flowy, comfortable dress. And it’s easier to sew with than the voile, I think.

10. Posted January 27, 2014 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

I love your take on the Geranium dress. I have made 3 or 4 so far for my granddaughters and plan more for this year. It is such an easy pattern to follow and I love the variations of neckline too

Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

I’m sure your granddaughters love them. I need to try a neckline variation next!

11. sewing lady
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

Wow! What a style. I remember wearing my Italian hiking boots with a floral dress I loved years ago. Living in the Northwest now. I can see how your daughters look could make a comeback. Dress is really cool.

Posted January 27, 2014 at 9:22 pm | Permalink

She would give you a big hug if she could. She sure loves those boots!

12. Ella
    Posted January 27, 2014 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! I’m totally coveting those boots.

13. Posted January 28, 2014 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Absolutely darling – and the dress is gorgeous too :) I agree, the boots are the icing

14. Posted January 28, 2014 at 10:32 am | Permalink

Adorable and she’s got the styling down. My little 4 month old grand daughter grows out of her clothes so quickly I haven’t even tried to sew for her yet although if I started now a few sizes too big maybe that would work. The fabric may have been challenging but is so pretty and clearly a hit.