Voile + Flannel Receiving Blanket // Sewn

Anna Maria Horner Voile + Flannel

I love making and giving voile + flannel receiving blankets (and double gauze, too!) They take a  fraction of the time to make (compared to making quilts) while still sharing love with a new baby and her parents.

Voile and Flannel Blanket

I had two half yards of the yellow Little Folks voile and one yard of the blue Loulouthi flannel (both by designer Anna Maria Horner). I sewed the half yards together, pressed, then sewed the flannel and voile right sides together, leaving a small hole for turning. I turned the blanket right side out, and then stitched all around the outer edge before I put the binding on. I’m not sure I needed to do the last step, but I didn’t want the voile and flannel to slide around too much.

I was happy to stop by to see my friend and her new baby (3rd girl, 4th child, so I thought she needed something bold and happy!) yesterday, and see baby M snuggled in her blanket. We laughed as my friend told me her mom felt the blanket and said, “This fabric didn’t come from Joann’s!”

Voile + Flannel Blanket

I debated about spending the extra time to sew a binding onto the blanket, but the powers that be on Instagram convinced me it was worth it! (I’m @swimbikequilt on Instagram). In the end, I was glad I spent the extra time–the magenta Pastry Line from Anna Maria Horner’s Little Folks line is a fun addition, I think.

If you make one and mix fabric types, don’t forget to prewash your fabric!

Happy sewing, and happy weekend.

This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Sewn and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 10, 2014 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

This is a yummy little blanket. Definitely not from Joanns :-). I wondered about the why with the binding, because the inside out should have given you a clean finish, but I really love the purple and it makes sense once you said the two fabrics are a bit slippy.
    E

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

I basically just bound the blanket because it was cuter that way! Most of the time I don’t, and I just top stitch around it.

2. Posted January 10, 2014 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Funny comment. The mixed fabric give baby some texture to fiddle with. Just branching out myself and using more voile.

3. Eva Marie
    Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

a yard of Voile and a yard 1.5 yards of flannel match up almost exactly so you get a generous blanket with almost no waste.

Posted January 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm | Permalink

Smart! Ill update my post to add that and definitely buy a little more flannel next time. Thanks!

4. Posted January 10, 2014 at 11:53 pm | Permalink

Just stopping in to say hi. I’ve been reading but not commenting much. You’ve been busy making some beautiful things. I need to get started I
    On a project from your beautiful book

Posted January 12, 2014 at 8:59 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Di. I’ve been eyeing your weather jealously. Sometimes I wonder why my parents ever let us leave California! What were we thinking?

5. Posted January 20, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I saw this post and decided I wanted to make a quilt like this. But I couldn’t remember exactly how you did it. I finally found the post again. I thought you had used batting and quilted it but now I see you didn’t. I would not have pre washed the fabrics either but now I will. Thank you for sharing. I love this idea as quick baby quilt. My fabrics are Joann’s but I will be definately looking for better quality fabrics.

Posted January 20, 2014 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Joann’s has some really lovely fabrics! It’s a fun, pretty quick finish. Enjoy!