300 Kentucky Vintage Quilts // Vintage Quilt Sunday

Quilt Auction

Photo used with permission from Sunday Farming Quilter

Have you ever walked into an antique store (or perused eBay) and wondered where the sellers got their quilts? I’m always curious about the provenance of a quilt–how it was made, where it was made, and how it came to the auction block.

Joni Morgan from Sunday Farming Quilter wrote about a family quilt auction in Kentucky she attended a few months ago. Click over to her (just started) blog to find out about the 300 (!!!!) quilts that were auctioned off, all from a single family. There were quilts from the 1840s on–how many do you think she walked away with?  I would have loved to walk up and down those aisles with her.

Have you ever purchased a vintage quilt? Either for resale or for your own use? I would love to hear your stories.  I have a sense that it could get rather addicting…

Vintage Quilt Sunday Posts
Tricia’s Joseph’s Coat Quilt shared by Tricia Martin
Heirloom Quilt shared by Katie Bowlby from Katie’s Korner
Great Grandmother Diantha’s Quilt (shared by me)
Log Cabin Quilt from Rebecca Verna Birchell shared by Heather Ashby
A Family Quilt Auction in Kentucky shared by Joni Morgan from Sunday Farming Quilter
Irish Chain shared by Marti Dyer-Allison from 52 Quilts
“Crazy Quilt” from Cathy Winer
“Picnic Quilt” from Jennifer Barnes
Cathedral Window Quilt from Robin Fonville
Double Wedding Ring Quilt from Kacey Platky from Little House in Vine Crest Woods
More on Buying and Using Vintage Quilts
****
If you have sent me pictures of quilts and stories, thank you so much!  I hope to get back to you soon. Life doesn’t seem to be slowing down.
****

Interested in Submitting a Quilt or Grabbing a Button?

Vintage Quilt Pinterest Board

I am looking for quilts that are beautiful, quilts that have great stories, quilts that are funky or fun, quilts that are unique, quilts that were made by your great great grandmother–basically, great vintage quilts. I will be posting on Sundays, and once a month I plan to post a block tutorial based on one of the vintage quilts featured here.

Swim Bike Quilt

This entry was posted in Vintage Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted January 12, 2014 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

I do not unforntunately have any quilters in my family, but I do have a crocheted bed cover from my great-great grandmother if you would be interested in showing that off.

Posted January 13, 2014 at 9:02 am | Permalink

I think that sounds really intriguing, cheryl. If you want to send me an email I would love to post something about the crocheted bed cover. Especially if you have a story or a picture or anything else you wanted to share about your great great grandmother. I’m actually pretty unfamiliar with crocheted bed covers.

2. Posted January 13, 2014 at 1:12 am | Permalink

I have a couple of vintage quilts that I have been meaning to do a post about but never get around to. One was made by my great grandmother and uses a lot of cheddar. I don’t know which era cheddar was popular in…30’s? She ( my great grandmother) used the cheddar with black to make cat costumes for my grandmother & her sister when they were children, and then put the fabric into the quilt. At least that is the story my grandmother told.

Posted January 13, 2014 at 9:00 am | Permalink

I hope you post about them! If you do, please send me an email. I’d love to see the cheddar quilt! A fun thing that they had clothing and quilts from the same fabric, just like today, I suppose.

3. Joyce
    Posted January 13, 2014 at 7:11 am | Permalink

I found a quilt top ( 1940’s ) at a local antique mall a few months ago. It was on the back shelf of the lower level, all by itself. The asking price was $35, but they were taking 10% off that day. It is all hand pieced, 9-patch, about 60 x 70. I had to do a couple small repairs, made a backing and have brought it to a local long-armer for quilting. Apparently, it decreases the value to finish it, but I want it to enjoy….not to be stuck on a shelf for another 70 years. So excited to see the finished product!

Posted January 13, 2014 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Isn’t it interesting, that finishing the quilt would make it “less valuable?” I’m glad you are finishing it! I would love to see a picture when you are done. And it sounds like you got a steal!

4. sharon
    Posted January 13, 2014 at 7:20 pm | Permalink

about 20 years ago i went to a small local quilt show. they were auctioning mostly quilt tops. I bought a few and over the years made them into quilts. I also bought a queen bed size yoyo quilt that I recently re-found in one of my drawers. the yoyo is fabulous, I didn’t appreciate it 20 years ago when I bought it for 5 dollars.