Winter Adventures // Favorite Things

Frozen Branches

6 more weeks of winter, at least here in the United States. Really, aside from those of you in California or perhaps Florida and Texas, are we really surprised??? Wow. It has been a cold winter. So much so that when it was 30 degrees this week I thought about ditching my coat altogether. Brrr.

ice

Now, this is posted under “favorite things,” which if you know me and you know my feelings about being cold, you know “winter” and “favorite” might be sort of an oxymoron. I have tried (really hard) to complain about being cold only once a week on Facebook, and have taken matters into my own hands–wearing base layers, wool socks, and snow boots (even when there is no snow), along with snow gloves and my parka. It hasn’t been pretty, but at least I haven’t been wearing my snow pants in public. Yet.

Frozen waterfall

I am trying to appreciate the beauty that comes with winter. And there is plenty of beauty. Icicles. Half frozen waterfalls. Extra hot chocolate (sometimes with whipped cream thanks to @gogokim’s instagram feed.) Sledding. Ice skating. More hot chocolate. And snow days. Pleeeenty of snow days. One might even say too many snow days. But I digress.

Tubing

These pictures were all taken over new years. We tried to repeat our epic Cross Country New Years Skiing Extravaganza from last year, and it would have been epic this year too, except we had no snow. What??? So, instead we went hiking in 20 degree weather and enjoyed the frozen falls and the warmth of our Herrington Manor cabin, and paid to tube down the man made hills. Totally worth it.  Sometimes you just have to make do, you know?

Ah, snow

And winter, if you are listening, I would be perfectly happy if the Groundhog was wrong and spring came early this year.

This entry was posted in Favorite Things, Great Outdoors and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Love the photos – the tube run looks awesome! Too much fun!

Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

It really was so much fun. My 4 year old even went down it! The best part was we got to ride a conveyer belt up… worth every penny!

2. Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Absolutely delightful wintery pictures!! Good job embracing that which you cannot change!!

Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

I’m trying! Its sometimes harder than it should be. Warm clothes help. 2 weeks ago I went out and bought more base layers that I was wearing under my jeans when it was below 20. It helped me be less grumpy :)

3. Sandra
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Ice pictures are beautiful. I’m from the southeast and ice is about all we get in bad winter weather :(. It’s pretty to look at but that’s about it ;). Here’s to an early spring coming! THanks for sharing.

Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

I totally agree! Ice pictures are beautiful, as long as you actually don’t have to go anywhere in the ice. Last year my car was iced over and I couldn’t get in! Virginia doesn’t get a lot of ice storms but every so often…

4. Susan Stanton
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I agree with you 100 %! Ya gotta make do! Love this post! Hate winter too!

Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:13 pm | Permalink

Sometimes trying to be positive about something you dislike immensely (winter) can actually make you hate it less. Also, I invested in quality (read expensive, ouch) coats and hats and mittens. It really did change things for me.

5. Alexis
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

If it makes you feel better, I’ve been wearing my snow pants often – even if it’s not snowing-because it’s so cold. I recently moved to northern Alberta and have never experienced such cold. Sadly, it’s unseasonably warm this year. It only got to -34. Brrr!

Posted February 3, 2014 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Oh, brrr! I had a roommate from southern Alberta and she would tell me about visiting relatives in Edmonton in the winter. Stay warm!!

6. Posted February 3, 2014 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Those photos are stunning! FYI, another excellent addition to hot chocolate is a wee bit o’ butterscotch schnapps…

7. Posted February 7, 2014 at 1:40 am | Permalink

Love your pictures. We are 3hrs North of Seattle; just over the border in Canada. All summer and fall we were told this would be one of the worse winters on record. It’s snowed once; and it stuck around a day or two before melted away. It’s cold right now but sounds like we are going to go back to rain next week :( I really want some snow lol!

Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Isn’t weather prediction a funny thing? I hope you get your snow!