Improv Neon Threads // Finished Modern Quilt

Project Improv

I really enjoy improv piecing, especially after working on more traditional paper-piecing. I made this quilt while I was working on Vintage Quilt Revival. Sometimes the technical pattern writing or precision required in paper piecing was too much for my brain, so I would work on a section here or there.

project improv_quilting again

I also used this piece as a sort of free motion free-for-all. It is fun to see how much my skills have improved. I used a neon yellow Aurifil thread my good friend Kim had given me; I also appreciated her “you can do it” pep talks while working on the book. And before. And after.  Thanks, Kim.

project quilting_neonthread

This checkerboard is my very favorite section, in one of my very favorite colors.

project improv_favorite part

I have an improv quilt on my design wall right now… posting pictures of this quilt finished over a year ago makes me want to finish it up!  I”ll post a work in progress shot next week.

Project IMprov: quilting

Happy Sewing!

p.s. we have a ton of snow right now! School has been cancelled for a few days, but it feels okay because it is an actual *snow day* with snow. I have had a bit of time to do some updates I have been meaning to do for months. More on that next week.

This entry was posted in Improv Sewing, Quilts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. shirley tener
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 7:40 am | Permalink

its lovely, Stop by my blog and share a love story and read others.. Happy Valentines..

2. Leanne
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 9:01 am | Permalink

This quilt is wonderful, it has such a nice set of shapes, colours and space. The quilting works great too.

3. Posted February 14, 2014 at 10:49 am | Permalink

What a fun quilt! I always struggle with adding bright threads to my quilting, but I love the neon yellow in yours – so think I’ll have to give it a try (I usually go with invisible thread on the front of my quilts and a neutral 50 wt. Aurifil on the back). Always learning something when I visit your blog – thanks!!!

4. Karen
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Inspires me to just let go and try some improv too! What a gorgeous quilt!

5. Posted February 14, 2014 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

That’s a great and playful quilt :)

6. Posted February 14, 2014 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I just got caught up with your last 9 posts. You do such beautiful and inspiring work. Congrats on the Pottery a Barn gig.

7. buntyw
    Posted February 14, 2014 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Fabulous – I love this quilt!

8. Posted February 15, 2014 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Another gorgeous quilt — I dare to dream . .. .

9. Posted February 15, 2014 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I love your improv quilt. I especially like the way the aqua and white section that you like is echoed throughout, like in the green section. And balanced by the wee strip across the top. Good proof that improv doesn’t have to mean undesigned!

Posted February 15, 2014 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much for your comment! It was relaxing and like putting together a puzzle, at the same time :)

10. Posted February 16, 2014 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Very very nice improve. Love the colors

11. Posted February 16, 2014 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Love the way you played with the quilting on this!

Posted February 17, 2014 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Thanks. I used it for practice for the quilts I was working on in the book at the time. Its fun to see how much my quilting has improved since then!