Oakshott Vintage Quilt Revival Pillow // Sewn

Oakshott Pillow

I finished this pillow a few weeks ago, and wanted to share it today on the blog. I used these beautiful Oakshott solids, paired with a Free Spirit Solid (Manatee is my dark gray of choice).  Oakshott is a UK company, and sent me these pretty Italy fabrics, which are shot with gray and are also a bit shimmery.

Pillow Top

I used  Lee’s Rainbow Mosaic Pillow pattern from our book, Vintage Quilt Revival.  It looks *totally* different in these dark colors, and I like the more muted rainbow look here. I love how the Oakshott’s look with both a dark and a light background (see the photo on my deck below for a comparison). My recommendation when paper piecing: don’t do it late at night, when you are tired.  Your results may or may not be optimal.

Oakshott_Fabric_ShotCotton_SwimBikeQuilt

The Oakshotts are a little thinner than quilting cottons; I had no trouble stitching them together or paper piecing with them. They have a beautiful hand and I look forward to using the scraps in other projects in the future!

Oakshott Pillow Top

Finally, I don’t have a pillow form in the right size at my house. Amanda Jean from Crazy Mom Quilts just posted a tutorial on making your own pillow form. I think I’m going to try it with this one!

P.S. Lynne at Lily’s Quilts has a Made with Oakshott series you might want to check out!

This entry was posted in Sewn, Vintage Quilt Revival and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Tiffany
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

This is gorgeous. That color of gray works beautifully with the Oakshotts.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Tiffany. And thanks for saying hi.

2. Karen
    Posted February 4, 2014 at 7:27 pm | Permalink

Love the muted look of the Oakshott fabrics you chose for your pillow. What a great, modern twist from the “usual” colors!

Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

Muted isn’t really my thing, so I’m glad you like them. It’s nice to do something different every once in a while.

3. Posted February 4, 2014 at 8:41 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous pillow – fantastic straight line quilting. Those fabrics are interesting in a subtle and understated way…really like them.

Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

I had fun quilting this one. You can do something a little denser on a pillow without losing your mind!

4. Posted February 4, 2014 at 8:47 pm | Permalink

I have Oakshott envy!

Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

I felt really lucky to work with them. They sure are pretty!