Improv Curves Quilt// Works In Progress

Improv Curves 2

These are currently on my design wall. I think I am going to chop them up further.

They started out as something very different–they will be made into a baby quilt.

They started out as practice for a wall hanging for my husband’s office at church.  I would like to make something that somehow echoes the beauty of the Matisse Chapel at Vence–his specific request. I’m not that crazy.  Imitating a master in the same artistic form is one thing. Trying to make something in fiber that evokes the clarity of stained glass–that is a whole other ballgame.

Since I have never done much curved piecing, I started with an improv study based on instructions in Quilting Modern

It turns out I like piecing improv curves.

Piecing improv curves that somehow will remind someone of the Vence Chapel? That is yet to be seen. That is my challenge for 2014.

If you don’t know the story of the Chapel at Vence, it is a really beautiful one.  This blog has a number of beautiful photos of the chapel and a brief history. Or you could just watch this 6 minute video from the BBC.

This entry was posted in Improv Sewing, Works In Progress and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. shirley tener
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 8:28 am | Permalink

be brave !

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

ha ha. Yep. Hopefully.

2. Posted February 26, 2014 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Beautiful! I love the palette and all the curviness!

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Thank you!

3. Posted February 26, 2014 at 9:16 am | Permalink

Just watched the video about the Chapel at Vence. What an amazing inspiration for a challenge! I have no doubt you’ll make something wonderful.

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the kind words. And I’m glad you enjoyed the video. I’ve watched it a few times. Art makes the world happy.

4. Posted February 26, 2014 at 10:47 am | Permalink

That’s a pretty high bar to set to capture the beauty, good luck. You’ve got some great shapes emerging.

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:56 pm | Permalink

Right? Pretty impossible. I had a few attempts in December that were disastrous. So I’m staring at the practice blocks and … hoping it will make itself? :)

5. Susan Stanton
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 11:09 am | Permalink

What a lovely post, Katie! You are on the right track, and I’m sure your beautiful quilt is coming to life inspired by this amazing place and man.

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you so much for your kind words!

6. Karen
    Posted February 26, 2014 at 11:27 am | Permalink

What a wonderful way to find inspiration! And, after looking at the link, I can easily see your pieces flowing from the windows. I guess I’ll have to start paying more attention to the world around me for new ideas–Duh!

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement. Its a rather… daunting project!

7. Posted February 26, 2014 at 11:29 am | Permalink

stunning… and I love the source of inspiration!

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:55 pm | Permalink

Thank you. I would love to visit that chapel someday!

8. Posted February 26, 2014 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Challenges are a good thing, and what a challenge this is! The chapel was new to me, so I enjoyed the history and the views. Even the chairs had a light and airy rhythm. I’ll enjoy watching your progress.

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Isn’t the chapel just lovely? My first few attempts (in December) were disastrous. So I just have my practice blocks on my design wall, and hope inspiration will strike.

9. Posted February 26, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

These are looking so wonderful!

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Thank you! And thanks for saying hi.

10. Posted February 26, 2014 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

I am afraid of curves, but you make it look so easy and improv curves seem so doable. You have inspired me to bite the bullet. Thanks.

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

I hope you enjoy the process! I really found the information in Quilting Modern useful… kind of walked me through the process.

11. Posted February 26, 2014 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

I know! Curves and y-seams are so scary until you just dip your tow in the water and because it’s a new challenge, gets addicting – love your blog – new follower from WIP!

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

So nice to “meet” you, Kelly. I definitely need to get over my fear of Y-seams. That might be my last one to conquer. At least for a while!

12. Posted February 27, 2014 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

I’m a great fan of both curved piecing and improvisation. It is great to watch it develop as you go along – and it is truly your unique design

Posted March 1, 2014 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

It is such an organic, free flowing process! And it fits my style–just dive right in without planning (too much). Ha ha.