New Baby, New Move, Crazy Life

Le Challenge

Hi everyone! I wanted to check in today and let you know that I wrote a guest blog for Lucy and Nat’s blog, Le Challenge. Each month, they select a theme and host a craft (read: not just sewing) challenge. There is more about the blog here–its a really fun idea. This is the 13th month, and the past challenges range from maritime to toffee, and everything in between. This month’s challenge is charity–I wrote a bit today about my experience with 100 Quilts for Kids, which has been a big part of my life (and blog) over the last few years.

Which leads me to the changes part. If you had told me in January that I would be either moving cross country, or having a baby in 2014, I would have laughed at you. Hard. Excessive laughter, even.  And yet, that is what is happening.

This blog has been really quiet over the last few months, due to a difficult pregnancy characterized by hyperemesis gravidarum (a fancy way of saying you throw up all the time and are totally non-functional for weeks and months at a time. Think Princess Kate). I have had weeks and months of charity shown me–meals, childcare, my mother in town for weeks and weeks, a wonderful husband and kids who have been through so much and given so much, kind texts and emails and phone calls and instagram well wishes–so much that I will never be able to repay it all. But I will remain ever grateful for the gift of love and service. p.s. baby is due in November.

IMG_8635

[currently on my design wall, to make it look pretty so that someone wants to buy my townhouse. blocks made by friends from the A Notion or Two Bee in, ahem, 2011. These will become a quilt for our bed!]

Anyway, add to that an impending cross country move that we are elated/devastated by (from Virginia to Portland, Oregon), and life is topsy turvy.

I am happy to announce that yesterday, for the first time since mid-March, I almost felt good, and I almost felt like sewing. And I almost DID sit down at my machine. Almost.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

This entry was posted in 100 Quilts for Kids, Improv Sewing, Sewing + Friends. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted June 13, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

I can sympathise with the pregnancy illness. I got sicker with each baby and by number three it was just throw up all day every day. It sucks to be so “sick” but to feel fine and want to eat two minutes later! It is worth is in the end though! Best of luck with the move and the baby!

2. sewing lady
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

Hey! Just wanted to say welcome to Portland, OR. I am a transplant from Southern CA., We have been here about 22 years now. If you have any questions or need info– I would love to help. I personally live east of Portland in Gresham but have a business in Portland. Best wishes and best of health to you and your little one.
    Barb LeCain

3. Patricia
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

You will love all the quilt shops in the Portland area! Make sure you go to Holly Hill Quilt Shop in West Linn, it is awesome!!! There is so much to see and do and Portland is convenient to all of it. Oregon is a very friendly and welcoming state. Hope you feel better soon.

4. Posted June 13, 2014 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Wow, so sorry you have been going through so much this time around. Lots of positive thoughts and prayers for you. Hang in there and good luck in the move!

5. Martha
    Posted June 13, 2014 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

Congratulations:) and thoughts and prayers you feel better soon! Pretty exciting- baby and moving!!!

6. Janita
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 12:38 am | Permalink

Hope you feel better soon. Janita

7. Kimberly
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

I’m a recent transplant to Portland (by choice) myself and absolutely love it here. You and your family will too :) Wishing you all the best!

8. Jess @ the elven garden
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 8:07 pm | Permalink

Congrats on the baby news, I hope you feel better soon, pregnancy sickness is the absolute worst!

Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

thank you, thank you!

9. ylmommyx4
    Posted June 14, 2014 at 11:46 pm | Permalink

Katie, November can’t get here soon enough. I really do hope you get some relief soon. I’m so glad you are blessed by so many lovely friends and family members to help you. Take care. Sending a huge hug!!!

Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

A very belated thank you! So grateful we made it to this point (landed in Oregon and chilling in temp housing for a while.).

10. Posted June 15, 2014 at 9:43 am | Permalink

I hope you feel better soon, Katie! Just for selfish reasons I am happy you will be back on the West Coast soon.

Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Julie! I may pop in this summer, it’s all still very up in the air.

11. Posted June 16, 2014 at 10:26 am | Permalink

Congratulations!! I sure hope that that the back end of the pregnancy is not so horrid, and that the time flies until November.

Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

a belated and heartfelt thank you!

12. Posted June 16, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

BIG hugs and congratulations on your impending arrival! I hope you begin to feel better soon so you will be ship shape for the move. Good luck and thanks for hosting the 100 quilts charity for so long.

13. Posted June 16, 2014 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

Sending as many happy thoughts your way as I can cram into a blog comment…

Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

thank you!!!

14. Lorna McMahon
    Posted July 6, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Congratulations with all the upcoming changes…. Especially the arrival of a new family member. Praying you are feeling better!

15. Posted July 7, 2014 at 10:32 am | Permalink

I was just catching up on my blog reading and I am sorry to hear that you have been struggling so much with your pregnancy :( Pregnancy illness is the WORST! I hope you find some energy, happiness, and health in your new surroundings.

Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:27 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much

16. Posted July 8, 2014 at 8:06 am | Permalink

Oh wow this is big!!! Congrats on your pregnancy and it’s great to hear you are feeling better! I’m sorry to hear you moved to Oregon but what a fabulous place to live, you’re going to love it!

17. Robin Tilsworth
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Hi Katie, moving is never easy and add any pregnancy and it is just way too much fun. However, think ahead to NEXT summer when life should be a little more structured and be sure you make it to the Sisters, Oregon, outdoor quilt show (second Sat in July). I traveled out there this summer and it was a hoot, a mere 1,500 quilts for inspiration.

Best for your coming adventures!
    Robin

Posted August 19, 2014 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

thanks so much for your kind thoughts! And yes. I’m hoping that by next summer things will be settled down and I can make it to Sisters! It was so hard to be so close and too sick to go!