Quilting With A Modern Slant

Blakesley_Quilting with a modern slant

Quite some time ago, I met members of the Boston Modern Quilt Guild at Quilt Market, and one of them introduced me to their then-President, Rachel May. At the time, Rachel was working on a dissertation on modern quilting and narrative, I believe. I’m sure many of you are familiar with the result of this work, published in January of this year: Quilting with a Modern Slant: People, Patterns, and Techniques Inspiring the Modern Quilt Community

Quilting with a modern slant

I made a flying geese baby quilt for the book–it was in the middle of working on quilts for Vintage Quilt Revival, and I enjoyed working on something a little more free-form, and in colors that I wouldn’t normally use. Look! No white in this quilt!

Quilting With a Modern Slant_Blakesley

I was also interviewed by Rachel for the book. At the time, I don’t think I realized the scope of the project, or that it would be published for a more mainstream (instead of academic) audience. I probably would have given different answers if I had realized this. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading interviews by quilters of all backgrounds, styles, levels of popularity, etc.

Blakesley_quiltingwithamodernslant

The book is pretty hefty–224 pages–and includes roughly 70 interviews, quilts, and a handful of patterns.¬† Besides being a beautiful book, it’s a good read. I think it would be a great introduction for non-quilters, as well–there is a style and aesthetic for everyone in these pages. I’m looking forward to getting my books out of storage (it has to happen eventually, right?) and reading more of the interviews!

close up

This entry was posted in Sewing + Friends, Sewing Book Review and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 21, 2014 at 10:16 am | Permalink

I love the design and quilting on this one; that book was a great read!

Posted August 28, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Christa!

2. Posted August 21, 2014 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Congratulations on being part of the book! It does sound like a good read. I really love the design of your quilt!

Posted August 28, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks Lucy.

3. Dana Henry
    Posted August 21, 2014 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

I LOVE that you chose to use grey!!! The quilt looks great.

Posted August 28, 2014 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks so much! Every once in a while I surprise even myself :)

4. Posted August 22, 2014 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

(Laurie here from the BMQG and page 197 in the book): I remember meeting you by the Echino booth in Houston and I loved what Rachel wrote for your interview. It was cool to know you are LDS- I am as well. The quilt you did for the book is perfect. Thanks for participating!

Posted August 28, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Laurie! Fun to match names with faces (or blogs) even a few years later.