Vintage Quilt Revival Block // Works in Progress

Modern Domestic

[my kids loved Modern Domestic. I teased them the next day that we had to go back, and they said, OKAY! What???]

For my birthday a few months ago, my in-laws surprised me with a gift certificate to Modern Domestic, a beautiful quilt shop/sewing studio in Portland. Seriously, every town should have a shop like this.  I have wanted to make a quilt for my bed for… years (we sleep under a quilt from Ikea!), and the gift certificate + birthday money from my parents  to long arm the quilt + a beautiful wall of Cotton + Steel fabric was just the impetus I needed. I’m not sure when it will actually get done, but that is besides the point, right?

Double Z Block

I decided to make a version of Faith’s Geometric Slide Quilt from Vintage Quilt Revival

I had to supersize the blocks (I’m keeping Faith’s original 10 block layout) and can’t wait to share more progress. Hopefully soon! Also, I participated in Tracey’s Cotton + Steel 10 square swap, so I think I’m going to be crazy and sew the squares together (probably in color order) for the back. Why not, right?

Linked up to Freshly Pieced this week.

This entry was posted in Quilt Blocks, Vintage Quilt Revival, Works In Progress and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Alice
    Posted August 20, 2014 at 2:47 am | Permalink

Lovely colours! Can’t wait to see your finished project.

2. Laura
    Posted August 20, 2014 at 3:20 am | Permalink

what lovely fabrics! :) I’m jealous of your proximity to a LQS… and the US prices. We’re so deprived Down Under.

3. Posted August 20, 2014 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Can’t beat HSTs right?:) That was a great gift from your folks!

4. Posted August 20, 2014 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Cute block….still warming up to C & S. Thanks for sharing on Freshly Pieced

5. bmcarson
    Posted August 20, 2014 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Love this. And love to see you on the blog again.

Posted August 28, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

Thanks Becky. :)

6. Karen
    Posted August 20, 2014 at 11:01 am | Permalink

Gorgeous square!

7. Posted August 20, 2014 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Fun! It is pretty awesome having your own quilt on the bed, I must say.

Posted August 28, 2014 at 10:15 pm | Permalink

That was my 2013 goal–quilts for everyone’s bed. I guess 2 out of 3 is better than none :) hoping to finish this one in the next… year?

8. ylmommyx4
    Posted August 21, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Just read your last few posts. It sounds like you are feeling better. Such great news!

9. Posted August 24, 2014 at 12:44 am | Permalink

This is going to be such a pretty quilt! And I love MD too, fave store in Portland.

Posted August 28, 2014 at 10:13 pm | Permalink

Thanks Allison. Yay for great quilt shops!

10. Elizabeth
    Posted October 17, 2014 at 8:25 am | Permalink

I’m going to Portland next weekend and want to visit a few quit shops there. Other than MD, where else do you recommend?

Posted October 25, 2014 at 2:23 am | Permalink

I’m so sorry I didn’t see this. I’ve been sick and haven’t been checking the blog very much. If you are already in Portland, I hope you are enjoying the rain!! Basically, I’m a fan of all of the shops. Modern Domestic is awesome. A few blocks away is Bolt, which is also great. On the same street is Salt and Straw (ice cream), Pine State Biscuits, Little Big Burger, Bunk (sandwiches), all delicious, as well as a bunch of other choices. Cool Cottons on Hawthorne is a great shop, and there is Fabric Depot, which is totally overwhelming and lovely and has a ton of quilting cottons, a huge notions area (if you can’t find it there, it probably doesn’t exist) as well as tons of apparel fabric. I hope I’m not too late–if I am, I hope you had a great visit!

• Elizabeth
        Posted November 5, 2014 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I was sitting in the hotel when I got your reply! We had a wonderful time. Modern Domestic was my absolute favorite! Thank you so much for the advice!! :)

Posted November 6, 2014 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

I’m so glad. I hope you had a great trip.

One Trackback

• By Modern Sampler Quilt - Leland Ave Studios on October 29, 2014 at 5:39 pm

[…] Flock of HSTs  2. Figgy Pudding Block  3. Rainbow Starflower  4. Bow Tie Block  5. Double Z Block  6. Cross Roads  7. Wonky Star  8. Arrow Block   9. Sliced Scrappy Block  10. Cross Block […]